Note closed and disappeared just like that

Just like the title says. I have been using Obsidian for over a year now and this is the first time anything like this happens.

A technical note I was writing for well, this entire day, was instantly closed. Well, no biggie, went to the file explorer to get it back. Nope, it is not there.

I thought it is Obsidian playing tricks on me. Checked my filesystem. Nope, it is not there. Panicking, I did a memory dump of Obsidian, usually notes can be found in memory as plain text and as I crawled through the dump for any traces of my note, nope. Nothing.

As non-tech-savvy as it might sound, the note literally dissolved into thin air.

I have no clue what could cause the issue, I suspect it has to do with the way Obsidian handles memory. I had Obsidian up for approximately 2 days in a row while continuously editing large notes. The lost note had around 2.5k words. If it matters I have been copy/pasting lots of images into Obsidian.

I found this issue from 2020 which is exactly what occurred with me. Although just like my case, it could not be replicated or proven.

I am running Obsidian v0.15.9 (Latest) on Windows 10. I am NOT using the legacy editor.

Did you try the file recovery plugin?

Are you using any kind of sync service (Obsidian Sync, Dropbox, etc.) on your vault?

3 Likes

+1 @CawlinTeffid’s suggestions.

Also if you please, post the results of “Show debug info” command.

And that thread you linked to was almost certainly related to iCloud+Windows which has known issues, and is definitely replicated.

3 Likes

I just tried it and wow. I got it back. In File Recovery, there was a couple of snapshots. The last snapshot was 0 bytes. The snapshot right before that was my full note. Thank you!!!

Where does File Recovery save snapshots by the way?

Again, thank you very much!

1 Like

Yay, I’m glad you got your work back!

I don’t know where File Recovery stores anything. Try Obsidian Help or the forum (I think I recall seeing a bit of talk about it in a forum thread).

1 Like

Yeah, I’d like to know this as well.

I’ve messed up a many files playing with templates/templater, went to file recovery, but was confused about the big red blocks and what to ignore or recover.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.