Newbie Problem - Font size too small in Sidebar and Tag Pane

Things I have tried

Pinch zoom and CMD SHIFT + or - work intermittently for editing/reading pane but NOT for Sidebar & Tag Pane. Any ideas to help, please?

I have tried FAQ and Google queries.

What I’m trying to do

I want to read the Sidebar and Tag Pane. WITHOUT using a magnifying glass!

Try this in a snippet

Place a file say nav.css in your-vault/.obsidian/snippets/cursor.css

.nav-folder-title-content {
    font-size: 1.4rem;
    font-weight: bold;
    line-height: 1.2em;
}

.nav-file-title-content {
    font-size: 1.3rem;
    line-height: 1.2em;
    font-weight: 500;
}

Have never attempted to do anything with the tag pane

it is very good of you to go to this trouble.
I am not sure exactly what you are saying. I can of course easily go to my Vault but am unsure what to put where.
Sorry to be dim but please could you spell out what folder to create in the Vault and what to put into it?
If I can use your help to invcrease the size of the Sidebar font this will solve 90% of my problem as I see only very limited role for tags.
Many thanks again
David

Sorry, when I replied I had just copied the dir path with a file at the end accidentally

In your vault’s root folder, you will find a folder called your-vault/.obsidian/snippets/ - place the snippet I gave you in a file there with the .css extension

Then goto settings > appearance and find your CSS file to enable it

Sorry, I’m still struggling. It has taken me a couple of days to find out why my Vault had no Obsidian or root folder. Eventually I discovered that this folder is hidden on my MacBook Pro and that it can be revealed by CMD SHIFT Period so that problem is solved.
I am still confused about exactly what you are asking me to do.
I think you suggest I create a new folder in the snippets folder. If this correct, what name do I give the folder? Presumably the .css extension does NOT go on the file name because I tried that and got a warning message. So where does the .css extension go? finally what do I do with the block of code you have given me? Copy it as is into the new folder?
I know you will be grinding your teeth at me by now but please clarify all the necessary steps to get me going.
Again, many thanks your help. I cant wait to see my Sidebar more easily!
All best wishes,
David

In a notepad application, create a new file and paste the code into there. Save this file into your snippets folder with an .css extension (I’m not sure about Mac, but on Windows, I can select the file type underneath the field where I fill in the file name). Now you will find your snippet in Obsidian under Settings > Appearance: if you scroll down in this screen, you will find the CSS Snippets section, with your snippet in it and a toggle to switch it on or off.

to help u visually where to save that file, here’s a screenshot of Settings > Appearance > CSS Snippets that @gregp and @Keos mentioned. Click on the folder icon to open the folder in your native OS file explorer. this is basically the [your-vault]/.obsidian/snippets/ where [your-vault] is your obsidian root folder that contains your notes (.md files)

copy that css code into a text editor (like TextEdit in Mac) and then save it as nav.css (but u can name it anything as long as u have a .css). Save the nav.css file in there and go back to toggle it (to enable it)

1 Like

Dear All,

A heartfelt thank you to all who helped me across the finish line! Success!

I am genuinely very grateful for the assistance so gladly given and do apologise for being something of a dim donkey!

Obsidian is great and I have six MOCs up and running just to show donkeys are good at some tasks…

Thanks again to all and all best wishes

David

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.