New plugin: remotely-save

So place the vault in a Nextcloud Sync folder and then open that folder as a vault in the mobie app? In iOS?

Hi @fyears ,
Iā€™ve just install remotely-save on both Android 13 (pixel 6) and iOS 16.2 (iPad).
I installed it to work with Dropbox
Each time I try to synchronize, I have the same error message on both devices.
Maybe I did something wrongā€¦
Can you help me with that ?

Hi fyears / All,
Idk if Iā€™m missing sth but I cannot follow setup processes.
I was trying to setup sync using One Drive Personal, but as I understood the process looks almost identical to as dropbox. Yet sth is off for me.

The issues Iā€™m with setup are 3:

1. when I installed plugin in the vault that sits in my iCloud folder on my PC (Win11), and when I used this plugin, it created a vault on the One Drive / Aps / remote-save. The problem is new created vault at One Drive has no plugins - hence Romotely-Save does not work eitherā€¦

2. when on my apple device (new obisian app 1.4.1 ) - besides Obisidan Sync I can only reach vaults that are on iCloud. I do not know how to point new obsidian app a vault that is localised at One Drive / aps / remotely-save / xyz.

3. When I tried the other way around - to create new vault locally on my iphone, then to install remotely-save plugin, it exported vault to OneDrive wthout issued. But and when I opened this vault localised at One Drive / aps / remotely-save, then again all the pre-installed plugins were gone icluding remotely save.

Anyone facing similar issues?

Bonus question:
I do not know if Iā€™m understanding the way this plugin works fully, so please help me out here - once this plugin is installed and connected to One Drive - Is this then the new vault location (One Drive / aps / remotely-save / xyz ) of my main vault? So is the vault I should also point my PC obisidan app? Or does it still use iCloud as a connection/bridge location?

Seems like just what I was looking for hopefully Google Drive will be implemented soon as well.

1 Like

@fyears Thank you so much for your effort on making this plugin possible. I just installed and setup your plugin today using Dropbox option. Could you please advise what is the best way to import my existing vault with the latest version of remotely-save ?

1 Like

Hi everyone!

Iā€™m not sure, but I have issue with performance. 4k notes around 300 Mb. Synchronization donā€™t work for me(. Application crashed on my Samsung S22 and Xiaomi MiPad 5. Looks like as plugin is processing at time all notes. Now Iā€™m not ready to deal with this problem, but I want to find out - maybe someone has everything working on large volumes and a larger number of notes.
Please, notify there

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™ve installed remotely save on my PC and my iPad and it works flawlessly to sync my notes.

However, when I install it on my Android phone it hangs on the ā€œconnecting to Dropboxā€ modal and never manages to actually connect to Dropbox.

Can anyone help me?

May I ask how could I make it work for my iphone? The obsidian iOS app only allows me to create a new vault but not allowing to open and existing folder, I can share Dropbox folders to my iPhone but I cannot open it in the obsidian iOS app, how could I make it work?

1 Like

I made it work by creating a vault with the same name as my existing one from the iPhone app. Thereafter I installed the plugin manually and authenticated onedrive personal through plugin settings and ran a manual sync. All documents popped up as they should. Only thing not working seems to be settings sync.

I am getting this error with dropbox sync which used to work without issue before:
Response failed with a 401 code

Any ideas what could be broken?

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to figure out which plugin to install. In the plugins list it says Remotely Save has not been updated in 2 years. (Seems to contradict the above github link).

Another plugin, sboesenā€™s Remotely Secure, is a fork of the above, updated 2 days ago, and claims there were security issues with Remotely Save. I know nothing, so I hope somebody can clarify.

Hi everyone, I am the author of remotely-save

I am updating and releasing many new versions these days with some very nice features.

You are welcome to give it a try!

I donā€™t visit the forum frequently, but I do check the issues on Github. If you find any bugs, please consider post an issue on Github!

Of course, always back up your vault manually before using current plugin! (or any sync plugin, seriously)

sorry but i would not suggest mixing many sync methods together.

[

Yes if you want to connect to webdav you have to storage your login credential somewhere and thatā€™s unavoidable

please update the plugin. a bug in previous version

the plugin uses js to process your files and no way to deal with very large files especially on mobile. you could set ā€œskip large filesā€ in settings page

Wouldnā€™t using something like tailscale to access the WebDAV take away the concern for rogue access? While rogue issues could gain access, they would need to be on the tailscale VPN to get in so would essentially be cut off.

are you still refering remotely save ? if you are concerned about password being saved then tails cale without webdav account might be a solution but users should evaluate the risks by themselves

WebDAV on local network only. Tailscale would access the local network so would not be exposing the local WebDAV.