New plugin: remotely-save

Hi all,

I created a new plugin, remotely-save, that enables users to sync notes between local devices and third-party services. It supports desktop and mobile, and also supports end-to-end encryption. The plugin is open source.

Anyone is welcome to give it a try, and report any bugs / unexpected behaviors on the GitHub issue. But please always backup your vault before using the plugin!!! Some technical backgrounds are required to set it up though.

Disclaimer: it’s NOT the official Obsidian Sync. (Actually I delibrately not use the word “sync” in the plugin name to avoid confusions). And it’s not designed/intended to be a replacement to, nor as mature and fast as official Obsidian Sync. I greatly appreciate Obsidian team’s great works.

19 Likes

Great work!

Hello everyone, happy new year!

I just released a new version Remotely Save v0.2.6.

Previously it supports S3, Dropbox, webdav, and the new version also supports OneDrive now!

Everyone is welcome to give it a try, but before that please ALWAYS BACK UP your vault!

You can directly install it from Obsidian’s community plugin list, or check out more details in Github repo:

2 Likes

Hi all, a new version of remotely-save has been released!

remotely-save is an unofficial plugin helping users sync their notes between local devices (mobile, iOS/Android, included) and remote services (s3, webdav, Dropbox, OneDrive).

The new version adds supports for:

• “Scheduled auto sync”. Users can configure it in the settings panel.
  • Getting the process of the running sync. Users can click the sidebar-ribbon while syncing, then the notice would show how many files of total files have been synced.

The new version also uses new sidebar-ribbon icons (from Feather Icons).

Anyone is welcome to give it a try by installing or updating the plugin in “community plugins”. But always remember to backup your vault beforehand.

See more details in: GitHub - fyears/remotely-save

2 Likes

This is great! Please consider adding support for Box in a future release.

1 Like

Hi all, a new release 0.2.14 for remotely-save has been released!

• (In case you haven’t heard of it.) remotely-save is an unofficial plugin helping users sync their notes between local devices (mobile/desktop (iOS/Android/PC/Mac/Linux) included) and remote services (s3, webdav, Dropbox, OneDrive).
  • The new version tries to bypass cors issue by using Obsidian’s request() as much as possible while using OneDrive apis, because some users reported some mysterious errors. Anyone using this plugin AND syncing with OneDrive are strongly encouraged to update the plugin.

Anyone is welcome to give it a try by installing or updating the plugin in “community plugins”. But always remember to backup your vault beforehand.

See more details in: GitHub - fyears/remotely-save

1 Like

This plugin is amazing! I was able to set it up with DropBox on a few devices but is there anyway to make it work on an iPad to sync with Dropbox? I installed and enabled it in Obsidian on my iPad Pro and it doesn’t get me to the page to select my sync service, etc.

I’d love to use it there if at all possible.

1 Like

@jondesousa

it doesn’t get me to the page to select my sync service, etc.

I do not fully understand your description. For example, is there anything different in the settings panels between different devices (the working device and your not-working iPad)?

I am sure that iPhone has no problem, and guess that iPad should work fine. (iPad’s operating system is still iOS, right?)

Normally, you could try to select Dropbox and click the Auth button to go through the auth flow. And please be aware that the vault name needs to be the same if you want the same vault being synced across different devices.

If you are sure it’s a bug, please submit a bug report in Issues · remotely-save/remotely-save · GitHub with sensitive-info-removed screenshots . Thanks!

Thanks for your advise. I found the issue, it was on my end. I have it working on my iPad, iPhone, personal computer and work computer. What you’ve done here is absolutely amazing and I’m greatful to you for it. I’ve used The Archive as my Zettelkasten for years but haven’t been able to use it outside of on my Mac. Now I am platform independent!!!

I have another question regarding syncing, fyears. I was using DropBox on my personal computer without issue but it is blocked on my work computer. I tried to set up s3 and am having difficulty with the CORS allowance. Can you post an example of the json script you are using to grant access for app://obisidian.md, capacitor://localhost, and http://localhost that I could paste for the allowance?

1. By issues using dropbox please report the bug reports on https://github.com/fyears/remotely-save/issues (Any errors screenshots without your sensitive info) That being said, if you configure it to work properly on one device, I could not see any reasons why it doesn’t work on the other computer.
  2. Examples of setting s3 configuration could be checked in the conversation here: https://github.com/fyears/remotely-save/discussions/28
1 Like

Hello fyears,
First, thanks for doing this. I am attempting to set up Remotely-Save to sync to my Synology NAS. So far, no luck connecting to my NAS, but I’m just getting started. I have some basic questions about the setup.

1. Infinity propfind or not…I have no idea what this means. Can you clarify?
  2. How and where do I configure CORS? Never heard of it, and I don’t see anything to configure. Can you point me in a direction?

When I check connectivity, I get the message “the webdav server cannot be reached”. Since the server address, username and password are all correct, I assume the error has something to do with CORS.

Hi thanks for trying the plugin!

1. propfind infinity or 1: Some webdav servers allow directly reading infinity depth of the folders at one time, while some others only allow reading 1 leve depth of the folders at one time. The plugin needs to know which way the servers allow, then uses the correct way to read some information. This can be auto detected though, so maybe I will add some auto detection code in next release.

2. CORS: It’s a technical concept in web development. The plugin needs webservers enabling CORS to access its resources. I don’t have NAS so I am sorry I am not sure about the correct way to configure it. Good news: new insider version of Obsidian 0.13.25 adds some api to bypass CORS. So, after the insder version goes to into public (not yet released to public), you will not need to care about CORS problem on NAS anymore. Please stay tuned! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey, you are welcome. I’m always willing to try something new, and this is functionality that Obsidian needs. I may wait for the new insider version to come out before giving it another shot. But I’ll report my results back here.

Hi all, a new release 0.3.3 of remotely-save has been released! In case you haven’t heard of it, remotely-save is an unofficial plugin helping users sync their notes between local devices (iOS/Android/PC/Mac/Linux) and remote services (s3, webdav, Dropbox, OneDrive).

Compared with 0.2:

• new algorithm allowing deletions sync!

• added parallel uploading and downloading!

• fixed s3 pagantion

• fixed not-working auto sync

• add init one-time sync after start up

All users with old versions are encouraged to update the plugin!

4 Likes

Hi all, there are some new releases of remotely-save! In case you haven’t heard of it, remotely-save is an unofficial plugin helping users sync their notes between local devices (iOS/Android/PC/Mac/Linux) and remote services (s3, webdav, Dropbox, OneDrive).

• 0.3.4: Some bugs get fixed.

• 0.3.5: Users can bypass CORS issues for s3 and webdav!!! This feature requires the Obsidian version >= 0.13.25, which has been released to public for desktop, but is still staying in insider for mobile. It means that users should be able to sync notes to synology nas, teracloud.jp, backblaze b2… More possibilities!

• 0.3.6: New version allows syncing _ files, and .obsidian special folder. And it also auto detects propfind depth for webdav. And some bugs get fixed.

All users with old versions are encouraged to update the plugin!

2 Likes

Hi all.

Updates in 0.3.7:

• add parts concurrency for s3
  • more parallel for each step in sync (to make syncing faster)

2 Likes

Hi all.

• 0.3.8: Add some i18n support
  • 0.3.9: Allow s3 path style (community contribution), and reduce size

2 Likes

Hi, fyears.
Obsidian 1.1.1(49) API 0.13.33 installed on my android 12, but I still can’t connect to my webdav server, I have error: failed to load. Expected one of […] but was PROPFIND.
On my linux desktop it works fine now, but not on phone.
What can be wrong? thanks.

Hi would you like to post the full message or any other might be useful info (like screenshot removing sensitive info) ? Thanks

There should be no differences on mobile and desktop, because they share exactly the same code

1 Like