Nested Vaults (vault within a vault)

I see at least 2 different problems:

1. sometimes it is cool to have different settings for different vaults
  2. sometimes it is cool to be able “switch off” some folders or zoom in some folders.

I think the solution is outside the nested vaults feature.

The first problem can be solved by making profiles of settings. Probably profiles idea can be unified with workspaces.

The second problem is about isolation of the area with which I am currently working on. And it can be solved by idea about folder settings from here:

The only thing remaining is to understand how to make it convenient for user to switch between different profiles / workspaces / modes etc.

My current suggestion is to let user make profiles, which contain preferences:

• workspace settings
  • probably plugin settings
  • appearance of folders settings etc

And let user switch between profiles with hotkeys like cmd+1, cmd+2, cmd+3.

thus if I want to zoom in specific folder, I user profile 2 (in which only specified folders appear everywhere: in link suggestions, quick open dialog, graph view etc.) and isolate it. If I want to see whole picture, I switch to profile 1 (all folders appear everywhere).

So you work in the only vault and do not have problems of nested vaults.

Please correct me if I missed something.

Well, I’ve never experienced any problems.
And your suggestions don’t address other advantages of nested vaults.

1 Like

+1

I think this would be a helpful feature.

Bumping this request because I would benefit greatly from a less risky way of partitioning my vault. I currently have all my notes in one vault. Personal notes, all kinds of studies and then a great part of them are directly related to my work. At home, I synchronize all my notes between a laptop and a stationary via Nextcloud and it works relatively well.

Now, at my workplace I have a work computer. I often need to access information from my knowledge base and add to it, but I don’t want to synchronize my whole vault with that computer. Only part of it is relevant to my work and I don’t want to risk the rest of my second brain leaking into an office computer, or even worse, the office cloud server. I only want to synchronize notes relevant to work.

The solution I’m trying now is to make a sub-folder in my vault with all work related notes. Then at work, I synchronize that folder only via Nextcloud (sharing the folder with a second user I’ve made specifically for this). Then I point Obsidian to use that subfolder as a vault, effectively nesting a vault inside a vault from the perspective of my home computer / main vault. I understand there are inherent risks to this and I would if it was less risky. I wish I could offer some constructive ideas, but think those are probably outside my competence, so I just offer this as a concrete use example.