Ignore a folder of temporary notes

Hey team,

I am wondering if there is any way we can ignore folders in graph views and backlinking?

Essentially, I have a folder for fleeting notes as per the Zettelkasten method.

I want some degree of seperation here from the main Zettelkasten. The problem is files in that folder show up in the graphs and backlinks.

The alternative is to create a new vault. But am wondering if there is anyway to add a .gitignore of some sort :slight_smile:

25 Likes

Not yet, though this would come along with graph filtering options. See the following feature request:

2 Likes

I think this is somewhat different from graph filtering. I really like the .gitignore-like approach, as I also want to exclude specific folders (automatically generated Memex and fleeting notes within Zettelkasten).

7 Likes

I agree with a solution similar to .gitignore. Placing a file such as .obsidianignore in the respective folder would solve all my headaches with random, unrelated notes (e.g., partials / transclusions) showing up in linking popup.

11 Likes

I also use Obsidian for Zettelcasten and have similar problems but I would prefer some filter customization instead of simple .gitignore.

About my case. I use folders like classes. One group of folders is References. One note is one reference. It might ba a video or web page or note in Evernote or note with description of a file and etc. I don’t want to see it on graphs (untill it’s not a local graph of the reference note) and search results but I I’d like to see hints with possible names when I do want to link a note with some reference note.

Possible solution is to add preferenceses for each folder with options:

• Notes in folder appear on graph
  • Notes in folder appear on local graphs
  • Notes in folder appear in hints with options
    • As usual
    • Only after entering of name of folder (like when you type a name of a class and after adding “.” you see an autocompletion suggestion with possible subclasses which are notes in the folder)
    • Do not appear

If you decide to add preferences for each folder, it would be great to see also default templates for notes, created in folder.

4 Likes

absolutely necessary, and would solve many common problems

15 Likes

No updates. Feel free to add your support:

I absolutely need this too. It would be great being able to hide some folders/notes that you don’t want to appear after [[ nor in the quick switcher.

3 Likes

We still need this, right?

4 Likes

+1 to a need for an .obsidianignore

4 Likes

+1 please

1 Like

It would be so nice to have this feature, and I don’t think is too hard to implement.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.