Nested lists unfold when pasting in the line above

Steps to reproduce

1. Make a nested list with at least two levels
  2. Fold the nested list
  3. In the line directly above the topmost level of the list, try PASTING some text. It will trigger the list below to unfold, for some reason.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Y

Expected result

We should be able to paste in the line above a nested list without unfolding the list.

Actual result

The nested list below a pasted item will unfold.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.8
Installer version: v1.4.16
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22631
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: light
Community theme: Minimal v7.5.1
Snippets enabled: 6
Restricted mode: on
Plugins installed: 0
Plugins enabled: 0

I agree, this is unexpected behavior.

I thought having an empty line before the list would not trigger the behavior, but it still does expand when pasting in the line above. It even does if the line above the bullet list also contains text.

I am not sure I understand/can repro.

Post a screen recording of this happening in the sandbox vault

Hello,

I attached a screen recording of the issue–had to compress it since the forum doesn’t allow MP4s.

Lists unfolding unexpectedly - Obsidian Sandbox - Obsidian v1.5.8 2024-03-11 13-54-50.zip (3.5 MB)

Didn’t show it in the video, but the unexpected unfolding will sometimes unfold lists many lines below from where I’m pasting. There might be five separate ordered lists, and this behavior will randomly unfold the third or fourth list–it’s really erratic.

The only constant is that pasting BELOW an ordered list does nothing at all. Only the ordered lists below the copy and pasted material are affected by the unfolding.

There’s also this forum thread: Lists are unfolded if an unrelated checkbox is checked while the cursor is still inside

I think checkboxes use a similar copy-and-paste function under the hood, and that might be why they’re seeing the same behavior when just clicking checkboxes.

I can’t reproduce in 1.5.11

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.