Mode indicator in a tab

Is there a way to display the current mode indicator in the tab, next to the close button? Like on this mockup:

I want the indicator to reflect the current state - whether the tab is in reading view, in source mode, or in live preview (a new icon or simply no indicator), and I don’t need it to be clickable. I’m using Minimal theme, if that matters. And I like having “Show tab title bar” disabled.

2 Likes

This is awesome. I’d love this!

1 Like

If you go to Settings > Editor > General, you can enable the Editor status , and get this symbol in the lower right of the document window.

Then it’ll show the following symbols:

• image – Source mode
  • image – Live preview
  • image – Reading view

This icon is found in the lower right of the window:

And you can also click on this icon, to change directly into either mode.

All example screenshots are from within Minimal theme in dark mode.

Thanks, I wasn’t noticing that before. For people who like Reading and Source panes side by side, the tab would be a better place for the indicator.

Unfortunately, it looks like there is no way to achieve that with CSS, which is all I know for now about customizing the appearance of the vault.

How deep did you look into the CSS option? I used CSS to move the Sync icon out of the sidebar on mobile — thanks to the wizards in the Obsidian Discord’s #appearance channel — so it might be doable with some magic.

I’m not a wizard but I think I know CSS and HTML well enough to understand that you can’t posibly “style” a single icon in the corner into an icon on every tab that would show the current state the tab is in.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.