Mobile (iOS, Android) Applications

It looks like the devs are working on a mobile app at the moment:

It just moved from “Short-term” to “Working on” :smile:

7 Likes

Me too, but how do you access them from iPadOS?

Also, l would appreciate if, the apps sync vaults across devices atleast in LAN WLAN

1 Like

Yes, I hope that the mobile app can be synchronized with the LAN

1 Like

As mentioned above Mobile (iOS, Android) Applications - #8 by greasemonkey

An Ipad app is coming - not clear what type of functionality it may have.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Apple Watch app

Craft App Inspirations

I tried out Craft app and love how their principles are similar to Obsidian (control of your information). Where they fall short in exercising their principles, in my humble opinion, is Craft’s confusion of “exportability” with “portability”.

In Craft you can export all of your documents (or some) into md with a single button. I would call this “exportability” (which is admirably better than most lock-you-in notes apps). However, assuming the forthcoming Obsidian app sticks to realtime sync of files as md in your preferred location, they will be king of “portability”.

It is really necessary Obsidian doesn’t waiver in this advantage. The future winners of the PKM revolution will be apps that play nice in the sandbox. These are apps that support many-to-many-to-many relationships between the files, apps, and devices.

I want to access many files, on many devices, using many applications (that all excel at something unique). Please don’t compromise this Obsidian!

As a side note, Craft is a buttery smooth native app that is truly fun to use on the iPad. Please consider studying their UX/UI. There is no doubt with so much support for Obsidian the app will get there… hopefully they capture some of the market before other such UI focused apps do.

2 Likes

How will Craft ‘play’ at all as long as they only employ JSON?

1 Like

I just got an update directly from Craft:

They’re currently adding md capability

Where they might run into trouble is how they will implement their nesting of “cards” in md. I don’t have enough experience to even guess the headache this might be.

1 Like

Thanks for posting. Good news in deed.

Just found information about iOS sync:

1. “Due to iOS security sandboxing, if you choose to create non-iCloud vault, it won’t be accessible by any other apps.”
  2. “Our iOS app supports both Obsidian Sync and iCloud.”

As I Understand, it is not correct. Other apps can access different storages with the help of iOS app “Files”. Here you can select what cloud storages other apps can use. I have such clouds as Google Drive, Yandex.Disk, iCloud Drive and Synology Drive. As example, such markdown editors as

• One Markdown
  • Pretext
  • MarkDown Pro

have this feature and can access notes in any cloud storages listed in Files.

I store some additional information in my Zettelcasten, including different videos. Thus my storage size is about 500GB. I keep it on my cloud, built on top of Synology NAS. Now I use 1Writer to access it (using WebDav). For me it’s very important to sync my Zettelcasten with Synology Drive. Files app see it and listed apps also do. I’d like to keep my notes there because of 2 reasons:

• I want to keep my notes on my own local server
  • I Don’t want to buy 500GB of someone else’s cloud storage

It would be great if you add possibility to bind any folder of any other cloud storages as Obsidian vault.

4 Likes

It is not that simple, sadly.

While many iOS cloud file providers allow you to add files from their storage to other apps, almost none allow you to add or use folders. The only iOS file provider that makes full use of iOS APIs for this purpose is Working Copy, as far as I know.

I don’t have experience with the services you describe, but I tested Synology Drive just now and my suspicions are correct. I imagine it’s the same for the others.

So, sadly, until other cloud storage providers properly use iOS File Provider APIs, there’s not a lot Obsidian’s devs can do to make this work.

Or, well, technically, I think the devs could put in a bunch of work for each and every sync service to support them. But this isn’t really fair. Synology and Dropbox (and so on) should put in the development work so that all other apps can use the features you’re looking for.

That said, Obsidian’s devs have said they’re looking into what they can do to make vault storage more flexible.

4 Likes

BINGO! Couldn’t have said it better.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed anser! I absolutely agree. Our world should be fair =)

What about WebDAV? I suggest that it supports work with folders natively. 1Writer has this feature and allowed me to add folder on Synology server. And it also doesn’t allow to use other cloud storages probably because of the same issues. WebDAV can be a good way out.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think that’s one of the options that might be available in the future.

Feel free to submit a request to #mobile so it’s tracked!

1 Like

I read through all information I could find about the current state of the mobile app. I was really “shocked” that synching with WebDAV seems not to be on the list of the first synching methods. The need for me as an Apple user to use iCloud (and/or Obsidian Sync) is an absolute show-stopper! I need a solution to sync with my Nextcloud (WebDAV) and not a third-party instance like iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive and so on. I really love Obsidian and the self-determined idea behind it, but until Obsidian is not capable of connecting directly with self-hosted services like Owncloud, Nextcloud it will be unusable for me. WebDAV should IMHO be at the top-most position on the roadmap…hope it will be available in the near future!

6 Likes

Added feature request here

IMHO, I think using a matured service/API like iCloud will help making developing the mobile App much more feasible. At least at current stage, from 0 to 1, it is perhaps a good choice to get one less problem by not introducing too many tasks.

I think the Markor app is the best for Android. And Markor is opensource (GitHub - gsantner/markor: Text editor - Notes & ToDo (for Android) - Markdown, todo.txt, plaintext, math, ..)

1 Like

The mobile apps have been released. For mobile specific requests use #mobile .

This thread can be closed!

2 Likes