Missing app icon on MacOS dock

Dear all, good day. I am using mac os. Not sure why the Obsidian icon is missing in the dock. Right now it’s a rounded square, grey. I have tried reinstalling the app.

Is it because I installed Obsidian on different users account on the mac?

Thank you

yes, it probably because of that.

I am having this same issue. It is indeed because I installed Obsidian on a second user account on Mac. I have since deleted Obsidian from the second user account, and re-installed on my first account, but the icon is still missing (still rounded, square and grey just as @gtcsomes described) on the fresh install.

Just wanted to chime in and note that this is also happening to me.

I’m not sure about it being “installed on different user accounts” as being the culprit, given that the application is placed in /Applications and not ~/Applications, and that no other application I’ve ever installed exhibited the same behaviour. :man_shrugging:

After some digging, I suspect the issue isn’t that it was installed on a different user account. It’s that the .icns file has incorrect permissions.

This is likely why all other applications display their icons without issue across all user accounts, but Obsidian doesn’t.

1 Like

Hi following the lead of the instructions below - I also fixed the problem. Here’s what I did for those of you who, like me, need a bit of extra detail.

I went to the file named - and clicked on info - then down the very bottom I clicked on the plus sign and added the B user in and set their permissions to read and right.

Then I ran the code at the link in my terminal - and put in my password. And it was fixed! Thanks!

Link
“I changed the permissions of Obsidian.app/Contents/Resources/Obsidian.icns to 0644, cleared the Mac OS icon cache for the user B using this and the icon is now showing correctly for both users”

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.