Minimalistic Web Browser

It would be really handy if i could turn any pane into a simple web browser for in-app research and referencing.

I think obsidian has the potential to become a more generalized interface or platform, where different panes can be different things like notes, chats, websites, etc.

A simple browser window should be a rather straightforward implementation, esp considering the interface is on Electron which outputs html.

9 Likes

I too had the same idea✨

1 Like

one thing you can do is embedd an iframe to a webpage and have another file open or the same even and take notes that way for example:

<iframe width="560" height="700" src="https://zettelkasten.de/posts/overview/"></iframe>

5 Likes

Ahhh right, that makes sense for a workaround. Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

1 Like

This actually works surprisingly well!

If you set the width to 100% and height to about 1000px, then the iframe will stay fluid with the pane width and the height will perfectly fill the vertical space.

4 Likes

But sometime we don’t just want to embed a webpage. maybe we want to do a google search or have a quick look of the links in our notes

then do that :slight_smile: the beauty of iframes, obsidian, and the usage of html/css is that its incredibly flexible.

1 Like

Yes, you are right, Google doesn’t allow to embed itself.

Related feature requests:

and it’s related feature requests.

Any news about this idea ?

The iframe is quite not enough . Everything restart Obsidian the cookie is gone, we have to relogin again again.

Our getting knowledge where from Browser.

Making Browser in noteapp , combine 2 to 1.

That’s very handy , convince.

1 Like

I realize this is an old thread but for anyone else searching for this, the theme Blue Topaz appears to have somehow built this in. Screenshot attached. I do not know what security issues may be involved. This is a from a download of a sample vault on github where I opened google and did a search. The functionality of this theme is insane, I wish I spoke Chinese :smiley:!

Just to clarify, this is not the theme that allows you to browse the internet. I think it’s either the surfing plugin or maybe the obsidian web browser plugin. A theme does not change the functionality but only the appearance.

Thanks for the correction, that was sloppy of me. Yes, the sample files come preloaded with a lot of plugins. I now see there is a plugin listed above, perhaps that is the plugin they are using, I will have to look.