Minimal Theme

Sorry, I’m not following the issue you have with tags. If I understand correctly you’re saying that when you set the sidebar font size to 11 the tag query results are empty on mobile? I am not able to reproduce this issue.

(sorry for my english)
Not specific to tags, but any embedded query.

desktop:

iPhone:

I am not able to reproduce this issue. Have you tested with the default theme? Are you sure this is only happening with Minimal?

Hi @kepano,

I’m using the Minimal theme on macOS and iPadOS, with the latest Obsidian on each.

I’ve noticed that with something in recent updates, the left margin of my editor view is gone (zero pixels), and the file title has moved to the right.

I can get a margin and title alignment back if enable the system setting “Readable Line Length” but that also centers and justifies the text.

I posted screenshots below the message.

Is there is a new change in the Minimal Theme that may have caused this, or a setting I can make that sets or brings back the left margin?

Thanks,

J

Default Theme

Minimal Theme. No left margin.
(Readable Line Length off).

Minimal, Readable Line Length is ON
Fixes left margin and title.
(Margin with text centered and justified).

Minimal Theme. Line Numbers bring back the previous margin.
(Readable Line Length off)

I made some tests with Minimal and default theme. In fact, the behavior is strange and happens in both: sometimes shows the results, sometimes not.
I can’t find a ‘rule’ to the behavior.

I just pushed a small change that should improve things for you. However, the recommended way to customize this is using the “line width” setting in Minimal Theme Settings. From there you can control your optimal line width (also means you need to turn on “Readable line width”).

Hi – the change does improve things. Thank you! I have been using the Minimal Theme plugin to set line width (or not). Where the “Readable line width” can be a problem is on any page that has a drawing, e.g., with Mermaid. With “Readable line width” on, it smushes all the drawings to be fixed within the line width constraint, which messes up the drawing. If you leave “Readable line width” disabled, the drawings render well, and you can scroll to see their full width. Ideally I’d like to be able to leave the Readable setting off and the Minimal Theme always provides at least a little left margin for readability; locking content to the left, and leaving it open on the right. It currently is looking great for me with your most recent update. Thanks again.

PSA: Minimal Theme is receiving frequent small bug fixes and improvements since the release of 3.0 — we’re already up to 3.0.8 :slight_smile:

Keep an eye on the Github repo if you want to find out what the latest version is. I am using the mobile version of Obsidian as my daily driver now, so I am improving the theme as I go.

If you want to support my work please go to:

Is this the right place to surface issues? Or should we use the GitHub issue tracker?

Something else I’ve noticed with Minimal recently is that syntax styling on the edit view seems to be affected by something in the theme. Before, in edit mode, I’d see full syntax highlighting on the raw front matter metadata at the top of the file. Now it’s just a light gray. Similarly, I’d see syntax highlighting on code blocks. I can see that code blocks are briefly correctly, flicker, and then only some highlighting comes through. I can see this by just making a new code block surrounded by backticks (```). The backticks will briefly flash red, which is their highlighted color, and then go back to gray when the page finishes rendering.

Do you know what version of Minimal you were using before 3.0? I think you are describing changes that date back quite a long time.

Please feel free to submit issues or pull requests on the theme.

I actually don’t know what version I had before I went to 3.0. I was assuming themes updated automatically. In practice, I’m not getting new versions of themes unless I browse to Minimal in community themes, and select it again. When I do this, I get a warning that I’m overwriting the local theme and I get the updated CSS. Not sure if that’s expected behavior or not.

Meant to ask: Is there a way to bring back the syntax highlighting settings wise? I just want to make sure I’m not missing a setting vs. asking for a feature update.

Wonderful theme, thank you!

I have a small request. I know nothing about CSS so I’m afraid to mess with a plug-in to customize the theme.

It would be extremely helpful to have the name of the vault in the title bar. I have several vaults open at once. Having the vault title visible on the title bar would be a great help.

Is that possible?

Thanks for considering and thanks again for a great theme. It is my default on all vaults, all devices.

I would recommend doing this via a CSS snippet. If you copy the CSS below into a .css file and put it in your snippets folder it should show the vault name again.

.titlebar-text {
  display: static;
}

Themes don’t update automatically, and unlike plugins the Obsidian interface doesn’t tell you if you are on the latest version of the theme or not.

If you would like to bring back the syntax highlighting for front matter, the best option is to fork the theme as I don’t plan to add that as a setting in the near future.

Thanks but I don’t know a thing about CSS so I don’t want to mess with it. :slight_smile:

Minimal Theme Settings plugin 3.1.0 is now available

• Improved sync support
  • Fixed issue with matching system setting when loading app
  • Added option to turn off trimming file names
  • Added UI font settings
  • Added maximum line width setting
  • Updated settings layout

Also recommend updating to the latest version of Minimal Theme.

3 Likes

Hi @kepano,
Once again, great job.
One question about tags in Minimal Theme. With the latest updates, I found some issues with tags inside other elements. For example, tags inside tables don’t ‘render’ with the same style: are presented as links (with the link color) and without the rounded outline.
Perhaps the change in p .tag is the cause.

Thank you for reporting this. Can you download the latest version and try again?

1 Like

It seems to work now. Thanks.

I hate to ask such a stupid question but I am relatively new to Obsidian. I presume to update the theme one re-installs and overwrites the existing theme. Is that correct or is there another way to update themes that I am not aware of?