Minimal Theme

Hi there :wave:

The Minimal theme is absolutely gorgeous and I really love it! Iā€™m trying to get it to work with the RTL plugin, and it all works great after setting a custom fontā€¦ except for task check boxes. They render like this with the check box on top of the text:

arabic checkbox

Turning off RTL fixes the the issue and it renders normally:

arabic ltr checkboxes

So it may seem like this is an issue with the RTL plugin and not Minimal, right? But the thing is, with other themes (such as Moonlight, Amethyst) this issue does not occur even with RTL support enabled. For example, with the default theme and RTL enabled:

arabic rtl no theme

This is a niche issue I guess, but would really love if you could help! I tried toggling things in the ul / li elements using the element inspector, but none if it helpedā€¦

Thank you!

EDIT: Manually editing the theme CSS and disabling margin-left:-1.5em for .markdown-preview-view .task-list-item-checkbox did the trick!

But now it looks great:

arabic rtl correct

there is an issue with tags appearance with ā€œRTL pluginā€:
tags with RTL:

tags with LTR:

edit 1 : is not related with RTL plugin -
edit 2 = and itā€™s cool in preview mode.
edit mode:

preview mode:

Thank you for reporting these issues!

I would love to get help with these bugs, as I am not fluent in RTL languages. If anyone is able to help with CSS for RTL, please submit a pull request to GitHub repo:

2 Likes

Many small improvements have been made to Minimal

• Dragging behavior with folders is cleaner
  • Front matter now uses the fonts defined by your settings for preview/editor fonts, and has a more minimal style
  • Tables in data view use smaller fonts to display more information
  • Fixes for latest version of Checklist plugin
  • Right click menus use smaller fonts and highlights that are closer to the Big Sur guidelines

@kepano I notice that exporting a note as .pdf is resetting the theme to dark mode, even if the appearance is set to white. I have to restart Obsidian to became white again. (OS: Windows 10)

Hi, with v0.12.0 something has happened to the font size in preview mode. I have jiggled with all sorts of CSS, and scoured the inspector - all to no avail. The inspector seems to be suggesting that --editor-font-size: controls it, but that seems odd to me, and in any event it has no effect.
I have tried ā€˜no themeā€™, and various other community themes, and they do not display this ā€˜small preview font sizeā€™ issue, so it seems to be a ā€˜Minimalā€™ thing.
Any ideas what might be doing this, and/or how to fix it?

An quick fix has already been pushed to fix this :slight_smile:

In 0.12.0 Obsidian has introduced a new font size control in the control panel under ā€œAppearanceā€. As of now, Minimal theme does not respect that setting because it interferes with Minimal Theme Settings plugin. I will need to figure out how to solve this in a more permanent way.

@kepano, can you look into Style Settings plugin and give us users more customisable options?

Minimal is an amazing yet complex theme, sometimes customising it with custom CSS snippets can be frustrating.

2 Likes

Nice - thank you for your swift stewardship!

with hovering on image-link I canā€™t scroll previewed image. I think fix this could make theme more perfect!

Minimal has been updated to support the Kanban plugin.

6 Likes

Okay awesome, thank you for welcoming pull requests :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll try and work on it next month, if no one else has solved it by then

Can Hex be used instead of dragging when setting colors here? Itā€™s painful that I canā€™t use the exact color I want. @kepano

In addition, I hope there can be more setting options in ā€œMinimal Theme Settingsā€, such as related attributes of H1->H6.

You can edit the HSL values if you open up the data.json file (.obsidian > plugins > obsidian-minimal-settings > data.json). The values you want to edit are accentHue and accentSat. Hope this helps :smiley:

Hi, is there a way to make the sidebars ā€œsolid/separateā€? If I want to search something and then exit the search bar, it seems like the right sidebar toggle is over the exit button for the search bar, which makes exiting it annoying.

Thanks for the clean theme!

1 Like

Iā€™ll look into this thanks. One immediate to remove this issue is to use the Hider plugin and turn off the App Ribbon, however Iā€™d like to find a better solution.

Great theme! I am using the outliner plugin which does not work completely with this theme. If the ā€œImprove the style of your listsā€ option is on the dashes of a list are still somehow visible (also the breadcrumbs when focusing on a list item would need some more styling). Maybe you or someone else could look into that, I think the outliner plugin is used by quite some people.

there is a problem in the case of todo-checkbox for RTL.

Hi @kepano

love this theme, unfortunately the list / bullet issue still comes up for me. I just did a clean reinstall and made sure Iā€™m up to date. Installed minimal theme without addon plugin and still get misaligned bullets in preview.