MarkDownload - Markdown Web Clipper

There is a known incompatibility with some other extensions that do downloads and stuff.

I don’t know what causes it exactly, but it’s a known issue with some other extensions as well…

1 Like

Gotcha, thanks much! I bet if I turn off some offenders this will work. Cheers.

Firefox is my new favorite browser. I love this extension you’ve created!

Sounds good. I’m commenting to get notification also.

I am having an issue with underscores in the markdown output. Each _ is replaced with \_.

Example:
Source:

tp_fan /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
hwmon /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

Markdownload markdown result:

tp\_fan /proc/acpi/ibm/fan 
hwmon /sys/class/thermal/thermal\_zone0/temp

I couldn’t find anything in the setting.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Browser: Firefox Linux 85.0

Raised my first ever issue on Github. https://github.com/deathau/markdownload/issues/50

1 Like

It’s a great feeling, right? Welcome to the club! x) And thank you for raising the aforementioned issue. Stay safe and happy PKM’ing! =)

1 Like

I’ve noticed that too; I just pop them open in vscode or vim and do a :%s/\\_/_/g or equiv. It may have escaped over characters too because I think at one point I had to clean up some escaped brackets too, like \[.*\] or something along those lines.

I have some markdown services on my personal workstation that can scrub those up for me but I think I was able to avoid escaped characters if I used the contextual menu for the extension that was like “copy selected as markdown” that may have handled it differently?

I’ve bookmarked this thread so when I come across it again I will chime in if I’m able to avoid it at capture-time rather than cleaning things up later (though you can probably come up with a one-liner with sed(1) or something.

I just come here to say that the lates graphical updates are amazing!
But I also need to say that ma YAML header I set in setting has been deleted.

Thank you! This plugin help us so much!

This can now be disabled in the Addon preferences

Thanks @death.au for resolving this.

For people who are saving images, how are you getting the folder generated by MarkDownload from your downloads stack into your Vault in Obsidian?

When I try to drag the folder over the file pane in Obsidian it doesn’t work. I have a references folder for source material and I end up opening that in Finder and then dragging the folder generated by MarkDownload into it. It works, but it feels really slow/clunky.

Is there a better way to do this? I want to save the images as well as the markdown into a specific folder (like references) in my vault.

cc @death.au not sure if you have a good workflow for this. Love the plugin overall btw :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK I’ve read through and it seems like there will be a fee. No problem, when can we get it to try? And Where do we send the $ and how? I use Safari all the time and really need a clean webclipper for markdown that saves the images.

So far the best way I’ve found to actually capture web pages with images is DEVONThink’s RTF capture with the clutter free box checked but it’s very slow and painful to convert those files to clean markdown with all the images saved as well.

PS I echo the issues with Chrome performance and the reason I can’t use Firefox is because I use a great deprecated plug-in that works with my SQLite databases that will not work on current versions of Firefox. So I can’t upgrade it or add any new extensions. Yeah, it’s on my list to get a new SQLite tool but I’ve got 7+ years of muscle memory in how to use it for my quick look stuff I do on my LambTracker and AnimalTrakker databases and no time to really evaluate and find something else.

5 Likes

Hi, would there be something similar to the Markdown web clipper that I could use as a Shortcut under iOS with the upcoming Obsidian mobile app ?

I purchased the Safari extension from Mac App Store. It really fills the gap in my current workflow. Thanks for this great work!

1 Like

@death.au

I thought the expansion wasn’t available for purchased at Mac App Store yet.

Am I missing something? I can’t wait to have this extension.

Looks like it’s here!

Is there a way to set a keyboard shortcut for the right click menu options?

Mainly the Download Tab as Markdown option?
I just like the idea of being able to do this with a single shortcut, rather than having to either right click and select the option or activate the toolbar and select download.

1 Like

Sweet!

I realise this is a year later.

If you are on MacOS you could use Automator to move it.

2 Likes

I made a linked folder (alias) of Obsidian subfolder and moved it to Download folder, plugin on Firefox supports choosing location inside Downloads folder, I chose the alias folder :slight_smile:

3 Likes