Make 'auto pair markdown' compatible with bullet lists (Quality of Life)

Steps to reproduce

1. Have autopair markdown syntax turned on.
  2. On a new line, hit * character and make a bullet list item, e.g. * item

Expected result

Bullet list:
* item

Expected behavior: When user hits * at the start of a line, auto pair generates a closing * character after the cursor (assuming intent to create an italic). Then after user hits space (indicating intent to make a bullet item, not italic), the second * is deleted and the line is formatted as a bullet item.

Screen capture from Typora for expected reference:
bullet bug 2

Actual result

Bullet list:
* item*

bullet bug

Editorā€™s auto pair logic doesnā€™t catch user intent to make a bullet list instead of an italic. Extra character is generated and has to be deleted manually.

Pattern matching on * followed by a space at the beginning of a line is the ā€˜bullet list intentā€™. That distinguishes it from the intent to start a line with an italic word.

Environment

• Operating system: MacOS 10.15.6
  • Obsidian version: 0.8.14

Additional information

The issue was reported as a bug below in May but never turned into a feature request. Still seems like an open UI/UX issue that would increase Quality of Life so I am reporting here for further discussion.

5 Likes

I can absolutely second this! I love auto pair for internal links, but also love bullet lists. So the Typora-Like proposal is great. An (hidden) option for which things should be auto-paired would be fine too.

Current workaround:

From my hand-writing I adopted - hyphens instead of * asterisks as list-item marks so I do not have this issue.
It is also consistent with YAML format used in YAML-header.

Ran into this very quickly as a new user 3 years later! :slight_smile: