Ideaverse for Obsidian (formerly the LYT Kit) now available!

Nick Milo rocks!

7 Likes

+1 :+1:
Olivier :-{)

2 Likes

Hi thanks so much for this template! :smiley: Super helped me in starting out.
I was just wondering though, how is the “Graph view” on the right side enabled? Enabled such that it actually changes the local graph it shows when a different file is selected?

I can’t seem to find a source or a guide on how to do this, and can’t figure it out currently as well haha.

UPDATE: OK nvm found it. In the Hotkeys, there’s this “Open Local Graph”. I assigned it to cmd + L. Not sure if there’s a button for it or not, but, dragging it tot he right sidebar now enables the same behavior as in the LYT Kit :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I really like what you did with the Compass MOC, and can’t agree enough with the importance of deliberately spending time considering one’s values/principles/codes.

2 Likes

@nickmilo I don’t know if you’ve already answered that question, I couldn’t find it in this thread nor your videos but how do you usually go about managing your sources?

In my notes it already happened to me to use an article from the web as a source, just linking to it, but later I found the article no longer existed.

So I’m wondering if I should have copied the whole article in my library as a source. However that would now be a new problem, I would have big chunks of information not written by me, the library is not supposed to be a database of other people’s works…

That’s why I’m curious to know about your usual way of managing sources, whether it be articles from the web, from a newspaper, books etc.

Thank you very much for your LYT kit, it has inspired me a lot to get my notes into order!

I like to save sources using one of the two tools below, which each have their strengths and weaknesses but are both excellent. I save sources into a dedicated “Sources” folder that is easy to filter in/out of search and graph results, and let me know clearly which are my words versus others. Another possibility is to automatically tag them in the linked tools with something like #source

3 Likes

Thank you for your input, I’ll check these out!

For books do you have a go-to way? Do you copy some parts of them in your sources folder or just specify the title and page for example?

I do most of my reading in Kindle. The highlighter app above can pull highlights from the Kindle website and format them as bullets. I pull all notes in one go, ar the end, and then may revise my own notes too.

2 Likes

This is what I am doing too - I am using the Markdown Web Clipper as well (which let’s you define where to store the extracted content by default). I do not clip everything that is somehow interesting, but in many cases I just read something where I am quite sure that this information will be helpful for me in the future. So I clip the page in the dedicated folder and when I have some time, I go through it, do some revision and filter out, thereby reformulating a couple of thoughts in my own words.

How do you do that? :thinking: Is there already an option for this in obsidian I haven’t realized yet?

2 Likes

Only in sources: path:“Sources”
Ignore sources: -path:“Sources”

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t get it completely - where do you define that?

I mean, for the search this is clear - but where can you define this in the graph view?

You can use the mermaid graph feature on Obsidian to generate diagrams and link the MOCs with Obsidian URI. Works perfectly for me.
I came to know about this feature on Discord. This is a template for workflows by @tallguyjenks. You can edit it to make it fit for your own purpose. Hope you find it useful.

```mermaid
graph TD;
    A((Incoming Media))
    A-->B[raindrop.io]
    A-->C[Research Papers]
    A-->D[Podcasts]
    A-->E[Videos]
    A-->F[Digital Books]
    A-->G[Physical Books]
    F-->L1
    B-->M1[Read & file items]
    M1-->L6
    C-->L1[Gather papers in zotero]
    L1-->L2[give good meta data tags]
    L2-->L3[read & markup]
    L3-->L4[extract with zotfile]
    L4-->L5[run md note on extracted notes]
    L5-->L6[put lit notes into obsidian using lit note templates]
  D-->N0{Listening on the go?}
  N0--Y-->NN[grab Airr quotes]
  NN-->NN0[Caption them with thoughts]
  NN0-->NN1[Export to Markdown with transcript]
  NN1-->NN2[Airdrop to computer]
  NN2-->NN3{only a single quote?}
  NN3--Y-->NNN1[use Airr page template]
  NNN1-->L6
  NN3--N-->NNN2[put quotes and links into podcast template, no embedd]
  NNN2-->L6
    N0--N-->N1[put podcast player into obsidian note]
    N1-->N2[2 copies of note open listen and noteate]
    N2-->L6
    E-->O1[watch and notate with Yinote]
    O1-->O2[get output from google drive]
    O2-->O3[clean output]
    O3-->L6
    G-->P1[read and hand write notes]
    P1-->P2{Lengthy / Complex?}
    P2--Y-->Q1[Transcribe each chapter]
    Q1-->L6
    P2--N-->Q2[Transcribe whole batch]
    Q2-->L6
    L6-->L7[Lit notes into inbox]
    L7-->L8[Review and generate seedlings]
    L8-->L9[Incubate seedlings with thought and linking]
    L9-->L10>Plant seedlings into Evergreen forest]
```
7 Likes

In Graph View, open the Filters menu and enter it in the search bar.

Oh - this is an idea so simple I have never tried it out… :wink:

Thanks for pointing me to this!

I also like many of the browser extensions that can grab Markdown sources, but I’m very sympathetic to the view that sources don’t need to be in my Obsidian workspace. To that end, I keep a separate inbox in Devonthink but I’ve also used Evernote and there are lots of alternative and cheaper options. I still cite the source in my notes, but what’s the benefit of those programs for web content? They save a web archive, which if you’re not familiar is the content of the page so it always displays as intended (besides external links) if the site disappears. Devonthink even has an option to do so ‘clutter free’ which removes all the ads, comment boxes, etc. Just another approach.

1 Like

I agree with most of what you said on keeping a separate inbox, but:

• the above tools do provide a clutter free viewing in Obsidian itself - if the content in question is primarily text
  • keeping sources in Obsidian allows for linking to them, which may be useful for some workflows
  • if you find sources are cluttering your view of notes in Obsidian, the filters above can resolve that easily - essentially splitting a vault on the fly as desired. This requires some deliberation before capturing sources, but once a system is in place should be seamless
  • I like cutting down the number of apps I’m using, if no functionality is lost - and find Obsidian very fast to work in compared to others like Evernote (which is a subscription service)

Not trying to convince anyone, just highlighting why I like this approach of Obsidian across the board. The workflow is still being tinkered with, but it’s getting better by the day.

2 Likes

This has been a very illuminating thread, thanks! I read the LYT kit and after some friction, it finally clicked (I think) - MOC are to me like playlists in a music app or collections in Lightroom. This makes much more sense to my brain than the idea of maps, but that’s just me.

To use the structuralism example from above:

MOC - Structuralism would have everything I ever wrote about structuralism, including links to semiotics and, say Saussure.

Compiling a lower level MOC/playlist for ‘Lecture on Structuralism’ would look through the top one and link every that I could usefully incorporate into a 50 minute introductory lecture on structuralism plus related samples.

I personally wouldn’t structure them as nested MOCs or folders to avoid decision fatigue (does lecture on structuralism go under ‘lectures’, the course itself or ‘structuralism’?). I know it doesn’t really matter as I can find it later through the links, but I don’t want to have to maintain links in all sorts of directions…

Really enjoying thinking this stuff through, thanks for all the ideas!

1 Like

You’ve got the right idea. “Playlists” is pretty accurate because of how fluid they can be, and how different “songs” can be in different playlists.

You’ve got it right with “nesting” as well. No real need. You can organize lower-level MOCs for the sake of your sense-making and retrieval, but you can do so in a non-rigid way

2 Likes

Love this metod, thanks for shearing.

1 Like

@nickmilo Thank you so very much for this! Have spent the better part of two days running through your LYT Kit. It has been incredibly helpful given that I am new to PKM.

I am right at the start of a five month sabbatical with the intention to review the past few decades and the accumulation of ‘stuff’ wanting to sift, sort, streamline, study, so that I can serve people better for the next few decades.

Not long ago I came across the concept of ZK and knew it was something that would be beneficial for this period. I started looking around trying to at least get a better understanding of smart notes, linking, etc. I dabbled with Notion, and found Obsidian, the latter I love. Yet I have to say I found it difficult to start, and I probably an over organiser! The task ahead seemed too vast and overwhelming. Then I met the LYT Kit. Well, to be honest I am not sure how I even found the LYT Kit?! I just stumbled on it. At first I was completely overwhelmed by the volume of your information… and even with the ‘start here,’ I found myself following links and getting lost, and couldn’t make sense of what was being presented to me (face planting as I think about it). Persevering, I’ve read pretty much consumed everything in there, and click the light came on! I can really see how this will be so very beneficial for the task ahead.

Definitely going to follow your advice for newbies. The MOC is great! I can see already that MOCs are going to be so brilliant for what I seeking to achieve. Although, I think I am going to coin them WBs (WorkBenches), your visual reference really struck a chord with me and it helps me to visualise it that way rather than a map (not a fan of orienteering).

Nick, I am so thankful for the time and effort you have put into this! Consumed a fair few of your Youtube videos too! Again I cannot thank you enough for what you have provided, and you have not only helped a grey haired chap to make the best of the next five months, you’ve stopped him from pulling those grey hairs out! Keep being awesome bro!

11 Likes