Lock highlighted graph nodes with button/ hotkey when mouse hovers on a graph node

Use case or problem

My expanded graph and local graphs have many links (at larger depths) so when I want to explore it it’s hard to remember which node links to others when I move my mouse away from a node.

Proposed solution

Could we have a button on a node (centered, along the perimeter, or outside the perimeter) where, upon clicking, will lock the graph view to that specific node? That way even when we move the mouse away we can still see the nodes that link to the one we locked.

I don’t mind if it’s delegated as a hotkey rather than a button.

Preferably, if I lock the view on a local graph it can be seen in my other local graphs as well. If no nodes in the next local graph contains nodes from the locked view, then it won’t be visible.

When this is implemented, it would be nice to be able to control the colours with css, too.

Current workaround (optional)

Currently, I just constantly hover back to the node of interest to see what other nodes are connected.

If I’m actively looking for notes to edit, I just use the backlinks feature. The way I have my workspace setup, I can also view my local graph so it would be nice to use it in the way I mentioned above so it’s more visual.

6 Likes

Hello, I am new to this forum and Obsidian as well really :slight_smile:

Still, used it enough to want to hack the appearance of graph elements.
I have applied a custom .css theme, but find it hard to figure out how to change the colours of nodes. After reading the Obsidian Help Pages on css styling, I believe that css cannot directly affect the graph views. So the graph renderers canvas and WebGL, has been used to aggregate some styling in the graph views based on custom css commands?

I do not claim to have any knowledge about either of these technologies, but based on exisiting themes available, it seems to me that the one specific node state I want to be able to style have not yet been leveraged.

So, what I want is to be able to customise the colour of the selected(not hover) node/note in the local graph view. As of now, it seems to default to the same colour as all other nodes.
When a note is selected, it would be very helpful to quickly be able to identify it in both graph views (local and global).
Please see attachment for visuals.

Is this possible and if not can this be added as a feature request?

EDIT: I have learned that the selected nodes size increases slightly in the local graph. Also, when tags are turned on in the graph settings, they show only for the selected node, which helps in identification. However, my need to be able to control the selected node colour, still remains.

As far as I know, it is not possible to achieve what you want in the current version of Obsidian, but you can open a feature request. This is a feature I would like to be added to Obsidian as well.

1 Like

Bump. Came here to make this request myself.

Requests for these sorts of changes are common. You might want to track down another instance and throw your weight behind the existing request.