- test
	- start

| a    | b   | c            | d   |
		| - | - | - | - |
		| d   | e | f | g  |

- end

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? Y

Expected result

Table is rendered the same in live preview and reading mode.

Actual result

Table is rendered in reading mode. Table is not rendered in live preview.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.3.4
	Installer version: v1.1.16
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.5.0: Mon Apr 24 20:52:24 PDT 2023; root:xnu-8796.121.2~5/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 22.5.0
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: none
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Additional information

Misc question: why does it seem like there’s a lot of discrepancies between live preview and reading mode? Is it not possible to use the same rendering engine for both?

6 Likes

We don’t support this yet. renamed and moved to FR.

Is there a list of features not supported in Live Preview? I assumed any major discrepancy between Live Preview and Reading mode is a bug, if it’s not rendering valid markdown.

People continue reporting this as a bug (ex1, ex2) which makes sense to me. It’d be really helpful to have a description of what’s supported and what isn’t.

1 Like

Not sure if this was resolved but I found a way to at least get the table acknowledged by the list hierarchy so that it can be folded under the parent bullet. THIS IS A LIMITED SOLUTION because it only works directly under a Parent bullet that is not a Child to any other bullet (only under first-order bullets). Just create the table under the bullet with no indent and add a space before the first pipe for each row. One downside is that if you want to add another bullet that is the direct child of the same bullet that is the direct parent to the table, it will render as a dash bullet rather than a styled bullet. However, it will still have the functionality of a bullet including creating new bullets below after pressing Enter and folding under the parent bullet. It doesn’t looks as pretty in either Reading Mode or the live preview in Editing Mode, but it retains the functionality. Hope this was in any way relevant/useful for one use case!

1 Like

It has been bugging me for a while and thought it is because of me being so stubborn.

Let us know if this request does not meet the markdown “standard”, I shall give up.

ps. I do not find any FR for this, can you maybe give a link to the FR?

Thank you!

btw. Despite the unsupported table in list, I think the following situation is a bug then.

- test
	- start

| a   | b   | c   | d   |
| --- | --- | --- | --- |
| d   | e   | f   | g   |

- end

With a standard table in between list items breaks the list, renders in live preview: