Cannot indent tables

Steps to reproduce

1. Open new note in live preview mode
  2. Create a table
  3. Select the table and at least 1 line above/below table
  4. Press tab to indent
  5. The content is now indented, but is no longer interpreted/rendered as a table in live preview or reading view

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes

Expected result

Tables should work/render regardless of indent level

Actual result

Tables only work at the base level with no indention

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.3
Installer version: v1.4.16
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22621
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

Not a bug.
You cannot indent anything in markdown that way. It’s interpreted as code.

I have used other markdown editors that seem to work fine interpreting indented tables, at least if within a list context (Github, VSCode). Using within a list would be my primary use case anyway, so maybe I should have used that as my example.

For reference, this gets interpreted as an indented table within VSCode:

1. Item 1
2. Item 2 with table
    | Table | Test |
    | --- | --- |
    | A | B |
3. Item 3

That’s a different thing. 1) You are trying to put a table within a list. 2) We require tables to have one blank line above them.

Thanks for the clarification, good to know! With that in mind, it does look like the table gets rendered in reading mode but not live preview. I can edit my top level report to reflect that (unless you think it’s better to close this one and open a new one?)

1 Like

OK, I’ll go ahead and mark this one as having a solution based on my original post, and create a new one about tables not working as expected when within a list. Thanks again for your help!

No need:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.