Links to Help and Manuals for Plugins and Themes

I see more and more help sites being made for plugins and themes. This is a very good thing for Obsidian. While we can often find links to these help sites at GitHub repositories, not all users understand or even enjoy GitHub. For non-developers, it can be confusing.

This feature request promotes an easier way for users to find the end-user documentation of plugins or themes. I suggest adding a button to the Community Plugins listing that is a link to open the help site of a plugin or theme. Basically, it builds on the fundingUrl key in manifest.json. It could look something like this:

Developers could then include in their manifest a key called ā€œhelpUrlā€ with the link to their help site. I have already started adding this to my plugins with the optimistic hope this could be added:

This would make it easier for users to find the help and manuals written by the author for their plugin or theme.

Thank you for considering this feature request, which I think would be relatively easy to add and hopefully improve the Obsidian learning experience.

36 Likes

I voted for a similar request :

Well, at this point letā€™s add a pop-up menu/ expand on hover for all these buttons except for the on - off toggle. Things are getting messy.

4 Likes

Love this idea.

1 Like

ā€˜Loving/Heartingā€™ this is a No Brainer! Thanks for posting!!

1 Like

I would prefer a standard button to link to the pluginā€™s description page, as in the request that Jopp linked. Every plugin has one, and itā€™s often the only documentation. When itā€™s not, it includes a link to the full documentation. (This is similar to how in the Settings > Community Plugins list of installed plugins, the plugin names link to their description pages.)

Related request (to which I said the same thing):

1 Like

I see where you are coming from, but my point is GitHub pages, by there nature, are not so user-friendly. I am suggesting it is better to go to the actual help site. I have four active plugins and see many times users get lost in GitHub, no matter how hard I try to clarify that the documentation is referred to from the site.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not suggesting it link to GitHub, but to the description page in the plugin store (ā€œas in the request that Jopp linkedā€). I only linked to the GitHub request because itā€™s related; I responded to that one the same with the same alternative.

1 Like

I have built a plugin to demonstrate how this feature would work. Check out my tweet on the subject:

https://x.com/TfTHacker/status/1728518673089073282

3 Likes