Links from Canvas' Cards are not updated when a link is changed and they do not appear in the Canvas' outgoing links

Steps to reproduce

Create a card in canvas
Insert a link into the card e.g. [[example page]]
Change the title of “example page” to “new example page”
Check canvas

Expected result

Link now points to [[new example page]]

Actual result

Link still points to [[example page]]

Environment

Windows with obsidian 1.1.2

Additional information

I can’t reproduce. Post a screen recording of this happening in the sandbox vault.

I don’t have a screen recording, but two screenshots from sandbox vault that make this more clear.
Here the steps I made to produce them:
a) open sandbox vault
b) create new canvas
c) create a new card in the canvas
d) type [[Start Here]] into the card
e) screenshot one shows this works as expected the link in the card points to the card “Start Here”.
f) rename page “Start Here” to “Start Here For Now”
Expected: the link in the card is updated to [[Start Here For Now]] as well and still points to the same page (or alternatively Obsidian asks me if links to [[Start Here]] should be updated.
Actual: the link remained as [[Start Here]] and there is no page by that name (this is screenshot number two. I am not asked whether to update any incoming links.

Does this help? Is this intended behavior?

And here the debug info for the “non”-sandbox obsidian I am working with, just in case …

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.1.3
Installer version: v0.14.6
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.22000
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: supporter
Insider build toggle: on
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 3
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 71
Plugins enabled: 37
1: Natural Language Dates v0.6.1
2: Recent Files v1.3.5
3: Review v1.6.4
4: Calendar v1.5.10
5: Dataview v0.5.47
6: Templater v1.16.0
7: Hotkeys++ v0.2.7
8: QuickAdd v0.7.0
9: Note Refactor v1.7.1
10: Tag Wrangler v0.5.5
11: Periodic Notes v0.0.17
12: Hotkey Helper v0.3.15
13: TimeStamper v1.3.0
14: Excalidraw v1.8.4
15: Remember cursor position v1.0.7
16: Table Extended v1.6.1
17: Text Snippets v0.1.2
18: Paste image rename v1.5.0
19: Tasks v1.20.0
20: Hover Editor v0.11.8
21: Carry-Forward v1.4.3
22: Obsidian Query Language v2.1.1
23: Daily notes opener v2.0.2
24: Limelight v1.1.0
25: Habit Tracker v0.3.4
26: Day Planner v0.5.8
27: Simple Embeds v1.14.0
28: Toggl Track v0.9.0
29: Trim Whitespace v0.2.2
30: Global Hotkeys v0.1.2
31: Open File by Magic Date v0.1.0
32: Kindle v0.0.13
33: Kindle Highlights v1.8.1
34: CustomJS v1.0.12
35: Kanban v1.5.1
36: Obsidian TODO | Text-based GTD v0.2.7
37: Markdown Table Editor v0.3.1

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Edit: changed title of this BR.

You are correct. whatever is in canvas’ specific cards (not the file notes) is unplugged from Obsidian’s linking system. So they do not appear in the canvas outgoing links and if the link is changed the change is not propagated to the canvas’ card.

These cards were meant to be used for simple text labels, hence the limitation.

thanks for looking into this.
ok, I understand this limitation for now (though it is quite sad …).
I would propose then that you do not allow markup here (or at least no internal links or todos, because people might rely on them to work with all kinds of plugins or scripts).
That is at least my personal opinion.

You should download and reinstall Obsidian. Your installer is very out of date, past the version where the auto updater can fully update.

It might not be related to the issue your posting, but you are almost guaranteed not to have some latest features.

I highly disagree, (or rather, I highly agree with you that it is sad) I think they should be allowed to be used for more than just labels. Design intention or otherwise. If it goes in that direction, I’ll be arguing in the opposite direction on Discord. But even if they are unplugged, I still want markdown in there!

Hmmm, not entirely unplugged. If I have a card that contains ![[I am Jones]] than that card will display the contents of the note I am Jones. If I change the name of the note I am Jones to I am Jones the Magnificent that card still shows itself as linked to ![[I am Jones] but the content of that card’s display updates itself whenever the text in I am Jones the Magnificent is updated.

So, intended or not, there is still entanglement between the card and the contents of the file even if the formal ![[…]] link name is not automatically updated in the card.

It will probably break when you close and reopen the canvas.

:roll_eyes:

Thanks for pointing out the installer. Downloaded a new one.
And yes, would be really amazing if markup would be fully integrated with the vault.

Have to say that I’m using them as notes that I might, but often not, convert into markdown notes - much of what I do in Canvas is pre-writing. I’m happy with json as a format (WriteMonkey 3 only keeps its markdown notes in json, unless the option to sync with .md file is chosen) - plaintext, easily accessed. Once I know I want them as markdown files, I convert.

1 Like

Ok so rename has been implemented. Outgoing links (and graph) is something that will happen later on. I will write a FR for that.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.