Left sidebar button moves when opening/closing sidebar but remains in place in full screen

When in fullscreen mode on macOS, the location of the button for toggling (opening and closing) the left sidebar remains consistent, in the upper-left corner of the screen to the left of the Files, Search, and Bookmarks buttons that appear when the left sidebar opens. When in window mode, however, the button gets pushed to the right as the sidebar opens, with the Files, Search, and Bookmarks buttons appearing to its left.

(The right sidebar button behaves the same whether in fullscreen or window mode, always remaining at the far right end of the top bar with the buttons associated with the right sidebar always appearing to its left.)

Steps to reproduce

1. Use Obsidian in window mode.
  2. Click the left sidebar toggle button.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes

Expected result

Button remains at the far left end of the top bar as it does for fullscreen mode.

Actual result

Button moves as if attached to the right edge of the left sidebar as it opens/closes.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.3.5
Installer version: v1.3.5
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Mon Apr 24 21:10:53 PDT 2023; root:xnu-8020.240.18.701.5~1/RELEASE_X86_64 21.6.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: supporter
Insider build toggle: on
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

This is closely related to the feature request below, but the behavior I’m observing in fullscreen mode suggests that this may actually be a bug and that fixing the bug would accomplish the feature request.

Update: the button position also remains consistently on the left in the Windows version of the app. Apparently this is a macOS-only bug, probably due to the presence of the macOS window buttons in that corner affecting its behavior somehow.

This is not a bug, it’s how it works, intentionally. Windows has the same problem on the opposite side.

Why would that be intentional? What is it about the presence of the window control buttons that makes it impossible to have the sidebar toggle button remain in place?

It’s not impossible, we don’t want it there. It’s an intentional design decision. Don’t use hidden frame mode (settings>appearance>window frame style) or use some custom css.

Ah, thanks for that tip. I had no idea that was an option. Yes, that solves a couple problems at once (this one and the no-draggable-area one). I still think there is value in addressing both usability issues in hidden frame mode (and this may motivate me to finally figure out how CSS works so I can create and share a solution), but for now, adding the frame will work.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.