Kindle highlights to markdown

The Kindle Highlights plugin (available in community plugins) automatically syncs Kindle book highlights & notes through connecting with your Amazon account and the developer has also added a new feature for importing from myclippings.txt in the latest update. Working really well for me thus far :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not thrilled with this excerpt from the plugin authorā€™s git site-

ā€œā€¦.If you choose to sync your highlights via Amazonā€™s online Kindle Reader, it is important to note that by logging in to your Amazon account via Obsidian your Amazon session becomes available to any other plugin across your vaults until your session expires.ā€

Would love to hear from talented Forum members or Obsidian Devs if/how this could be mitigated in the Apple sphere. Although, Iā€™m not really suggesting the Devs become the Plugin Police (or am I, :wink:).

2 Likes

I just installed and used this plug-in by linking to my uploaded My Clippings.txt file that I pulled off my kindle. It worked perfectly. No sync required with my amazon account.

FYI, after installing and enabling the plug-in, I was able to pull up the option to manually upload the My Clippings.txt by clicking the middle bottom of the screen where the status of my kindle sync was presented.

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 1.17.42 PM

From there is was very clear what to do

1 Like

Fair call. I had to declare the behaviour so as a user you can make the best informed option for you.

Obsidian is an Electron app. In essence, it is running inside a sandboxed browser. Any web session that a plugin may create, is available for all plugins to use. It is currently not possible to limit a session for a particular pluginā€™s usage.

That said, you have two easy options to work around this to ensure the privacy of your Amazon account:

1. Logout from the pluginā€™s settings after every use
  2. Donā€™t use the online Amazon sync. And instead upload the My Clippings.txt file on your Kindle device
2 Likes

Great! Thanks for the reply. Will pursue #2!

1 Like

Hello, thanks for this tip it is working fantastic! One question though my location links are not clickable as yours look to beā€¦any ideas there?

Is there any way to create individual .md files for each highlight, rather than for each book, and just have a tag or metadata for those .md files linking them to each book? Iā€™d prefer individual notes per highlight rather than per book.

1 Like

Self promotion but I had a little program I wrote and just put it up into www.kindle2markdown.com. Itā€™s easy and quick to use

Although this doesnā€™t help with the markdown part, you can actually send yourself a copy of your notes and highlights from a document by email. You just have to do it from within that document on your device.

Tap on the little ā€œnotesā€ icon (looks a bit like the ā€œnew noteā€ icon in Obsidian) and thereā€™s a ā€œshareā€ option. Tap that and you can ā€œexport notebook.ā€ That lets you email it yourself as an attachment. It sends as HTML, though.

1 Like

Not if the kindle book was not purchased from Amazon. There is no Share option for non-Amazon books. No way to get those notes and highlights (collectively my annotations) out at all that Iā€™ve found in several years of looking.

If you or anyone else has a way please share it!

I just sent myself one this week this way, from a book Iā€™d sent via ā€œSend to Kindle.ā€

Those notes donā€™t show up in the regular notebook (at read.amazon.com), but I was able to send them from inside the book.

Is there any way to do ā€œSend to Kindleā€ on a bunch of books at once, a bulk send? I have over 1100 Kindle books and roughly 75% of them were NOT bought from Amazon.

Also, do you know if existing annotations (highlights and notes) get saved when you send toKindle a book youv[e already annotated?

Iā€™ve always just dragged the .MOBI files over to the iPad. Simple easy and fast and I can do a bunch at once.

As far as I know, for a book you sent to Kindle yourself, you canā€™t bulk send it; the best you can do is to save the notebook file from the device.

Likewise, I donā€™t think they carry over from one device to another. If youā€™re sending it back to the same device it might; I havenā€™t ever tried that so Iā€™m not sure.

Itā€™s not too big a deal to email yourself the file as you finish a bookā€¦but when youā€™re playing catch-up for past reading ā€“ yeah, that doesnā€™t sound like a very efficient process. :confused:

Hi Iexane ,

Here is a new obsidian plugin that do just what you need !

https://www.zylstra.org/blog/2021/06/moving-kindle-highlights-directly-to-obsidian-notes/

Have fun !

Martial