Kanban Plugin

Hmm, not currently. The kanban plugin doesn’t have much control in MD mode, but this is a feature I could add to the lane menu. All that’s possible at the moment is to archive all cards in a lane, regardless of if they’re completed tasks or not.

• 0.2.0 · Discussion #56 · mgmeyers/obsidian-kanban · GitHub
    • Adds date support and date picker
    • Note: this is just the first iteration more date related features coming soon
    • Note: Cards with dates can be styled using these CSS classes: .kanban-plugin__item.is-future, .kanban-plugin__item.is-today, and .kanban-plugin__item.is-past

8 Likes

7 Likes

Still thrilled with the pace of development. Thanks!

Are multiline cards on the horizon?

1 Like

Yes! Multiline cards complicate things quite a bit, but I’m hoping to support them in the next month or so.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Re:

There is now a setting to show checkboxes in kanban cards. This will reflect the checked state of the markdown.

2 Likes

Wow - am loving this plugin. Thanks!

When I create a card that links to an existing note and click on it, a new pane is opened. This gets hard to work with on mobile. Is there a way to click on an item and have it open in the existing pane?

2 Likes

Thank you so much! This plug in is of great help for me.
Just 1 small thing I wish it could do is to cross out text (Card) when the checkbox is checked.

Thanks @Lynnlv! This will be easier to do in the future, but for now you can accomplish this with a CSS snippet:

.kanban-plugin__item.is-complete .kanban-plugin__item-markdown {
  text-decoration: line-through;
  text-decoration-color: var(--text-muted);
}

Just in case you’re unfamiliar with CSS snippets, here’s a handy video

6 Likes

Hello,

I understand most of the settings in Kanban plugin I installed today.

What is the template setting used for ? What do you insert into your templates ?

Thanks

The idea is that, when you create a new note from a Kanban card, you can use a template to pre-populate the note with whatever information might be useful to you. For example, you might add dates or frontmatter values.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 11.04.00 AM

Additionally, if you are using the built in Templates plugin or the community Templater plugin, the note template will be processed by those plugins.

Does that help clarify things?

2 Likes

This is beautiful, thank you! I’ve been struggling with how to efficiently combine my key daily tools of DevonThink, OmniFocus, and Obsidian (where I keep my daily log of meetings, notes, to-do’s, etc.), and my friction point has been how to integrate Obsidian and OmniFocus for task management without repeating work. I’m thinking this plug-in could be the intermediary, but need to hammer out my workflow in a bit more detail.

While I continue to refine, I wonder if anyone might be willing to video or describe their workflows with this plugin? Every time I think about this plugin I come up with tons of ideas of how it could be used (almost too many) and I would love to learn more about how others are making it sing for them.

Thank you @mgmeyers for creating and sharing this plugin!

4 Likes

I’m using it for a very simple use-case right now: Keeping track of the various projects I’m working on.

Each card is just a link to a note that has more j formation about the project (description, links to a project directory, project task list, etc.).

Eventually, I’d rather have more of that in the card itself, but until we het multi line cards, I can’t see how to do that.

1 Like

@mgmeyers thanks a bunch. Now it’s perfect for my user case <3

2 Likes
  • 0.3.0 · Discussion #89 · mgmeyers/obsidian-kanban · GitHub
    • Adds time picker and time support
      • Note: by default, the time picker can be triggered with @@
      • Note: times require dates
    • Adds option to add date/time to archived cards
    • Adds command to archive all completed cards on the board
    • Adds command to convert empty note to a Kanban board
    • Removes cmd/ctrl + click in favor of double clicking to edit cards and lane titles
    • Ensures new cards and Kanban boards are created in the correct folder

6 Likes

Awesome! Arching all completed is a game changer rather than all cards :slight_smile:

2 Likes
2 Likes

It’d be great if we could duplicate the cards!

As others have said, this is a terrific plugin, and I am so glad to see the ongoing development. Thanks so much.

As one of the first posters here mentioned, my own workflow is file-based. So I just wanted to voice some support for future development in which we could use the plug-in to represent folders of existing notes.

In the interim, does anyone have a workflow – for instance, with Alfred or Hazel or Zapier, etc – where IF a new file is added to a folder in the vault THEN a new kanban card is added to a lane (e.g. ##NEW)?

My current use-case is to manage my bills (I know, mundane but pretty straightforward). I make a PDF of the bill (whether it’s an e-bill or a physical bill) and drop it in a folder called “Bills to Pay.” Currently, I create a card that links to the PDF in the title, and hovering over the link provides me with all the information I need to pay the bill. But it would be so much better to have the Kanban note created automatically.

Thanks!

2 Likes