Jupyter Notebook integration for Obsidian?

Indeed, it would be great.

Currently, if you put an ipynb file into the obsidian explorer you get the json-like content. It would be great if Obsidian could preview the content like Jupyter!

2 Likes

definitively

be aware of this one GitHub - Exr0nProjects/obsidian-sage: Create interactive SageMath cells in Obsidian
I’ve just tried it’s working

1 Like

Hey guys,

It would be amazing if we could have a preview and interact with Jupyter’s notebook. I’m just starting learning datascience and it would help a lot.

I’ve found a way to preview Jupyter’s notebook in obsidian if you want to try.

You need to:

• Create a public repo in github and put into it your notebooks
  • Go on https://mybinder.org/ and put the link of your github repo.
  • iframe the content in your Obsidian note.

You can’t run the code (not working through iframe) or edit but you can at least read it (you can actually edit, but it will not be saved). And you need to have an internet connection to load it.

Look like this:

via GIPHY

Hope it helps!

1 Like

The obsidian-jupyter plugin by @tillahoffmann works great for me. It’s not the right setup as a dev environment, but it’s good for noting snippets and testing the snippets, noting outputs/plots etc all within the obsidian notes.
Thanks @tillahoffmann for creating it. :slight_smile: GitHub - tillahoffmann/obsidian-jupyter

2 Likes

I came across an important restriction when using this plugin.
State is not maintained across cells, Variables initialized or modules imported in previous cells are not available to later cells.

It might be good for running self contained snippets on Obsidian, but not for working across multiple cells.

I hope I’m not using the plugin in any wrong way.

Please Couid you provide steps to activate Jupyter Plugin on windows?

I think the ‘Execute Code’ plugin does exactly what is desired here. It also does a lot more as well!

State is maintained in ‘Read’ mode, but not in ‘Edit’ mode. If you are testing the code you are actually writing in Edit mode, Ctrl + click the View button on the top right, and open the same panel in a ‘Read’ mode tab. Now you will be able to run what you are writing. Easy, make your updates in ‘Edit’-mode tab, run your code in ‘View’-mode tab.

While all the above-proposed solutions are great, I think what a lot of people might be after is support for the actual .ipynb file format. This would allow for developing code in a full-featured IDE and also be able to view everything in obsidian (+ added bonus would be to be able to run the cells too). Even better, being able to add wikilink support in a jupyter notebook to other parts of the vault would be amazing

4 Likes

I have done some research, and here are two products doing a similar thing,

The main purpose of Curvenote is for writing, while Notion is integrated with Deepnote to support Jupyter notebook.

Any example of plugin activation for windows users?

I to would love some easy way to view .ipynb files in obsidian

1 Like

TLDR: Please give us official .ipynb support in Obsidian

Hello there, friends. I am NOT A FORUM person at all. But this topic and the fact that it is still kinda alive - made me register and make my 1st forum post in many years.

For the last year i’ve been excessively studying Data Science and Machine Learning, it is such a broad field which includes but is not limited to Stats, Probs, Information Theory, Calculus, Optimization Theory, Bayesian Stat’s. YOU NAME IT.

And all of those subjects, as well as Machine Learning and Data Science itself use Jupyter notebooks / Lab as it’s main environment… It’s been a year and I haven’t even opened another IDE once. I don’t have the need to do it.

My studies been the thing that led me to this wonderful note taking tool and God I love it! I have composed hundreds of notes, big and small. And I am nowhere near the finish line.

BEING ABLE TO AT LEAST VIEW MY NOTEBOOKS inside my notes would be a BLESSING, jokes aside.

Or if I would be able to do some plotting or analysis examples inside notes - that would have been even better.

Please, please, please implement official support for .ipynb in Obsidian. It would also broaden your auditory by a lot (or so I think).

2 Likes

Also a data scientist, also would love to simply be able to view .ipynb files in obsidian

3 Likes

thanks for posting about this, I had a look at your plugin and the description of what to do now that the plugin is deprecated is cool. I can now keep lightweight notes in .md and use them as powerful notebooks when I need to!

Likewise, I really would like the ability to at least read .ipynb files like Github supports.
I would be extremely happy with being able to at least view notebook files in Obsidian.

1 Like

I 31st this! It would be really nice to be able to view and edit jupyter notebooks, even if the code blocks can’t be run in it (but they can, as I understand it, using the right plugin).

1 Like

Obsidian should definitely support rendering jupyter notebooks.
When viewing files on github . which is not a “ full blown development environment”… the file types that are capable of being rendered are markdown, and jupyter notebooks.

The idea that there is any opposition to this at all especially in a platform as flexible as obsidian is utterly astonishing.

The main purpose of a jupyter notebook is to communicate ideas. not do development in. This aligns squarely within Obsidian’s role as a tool to organize and communicate ideas.

Using a jupyter notebook in Obsidian is not a signal that folks are doing development work in Obsidian, rather a signal that folks are USING OBSIDIAN FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSE.

I think its less about “we don’t think you should be able to do this” and more “We don’t have time for usecase that affects a very small number of users”

1 Like