Is nodejs needed to publish into the custom domains?

What I’m trying to do

I converted now non-existent Mediawiki ( obsidian publish link) to obsidian markdown format and working with original admin to get it published in his original custom domain. Most of the content is static, but I did used few plugin’s ( minimal theme settings. ITS Theme to center the images) for css and js - which I basically copy /pasted ( into publish.css, publish.js on the home directory of the vault) as per the instructions from plugin git hub page. He asked me a question, which I am not 100% sure of the answer.

1. do you need nodejs or something to make it go? IOW, is it easy to host the Obsidian site on a WHM/cPanel server?

Given that I haven’t tried with custom domain, I am not completely sure. I appreciate any help in replying to him.

Things I have tried

I searched web and forum lot of times with no concrete answer.

Obsidian Publish is hosted on our servers, there is no way you can self-host it.

Thank you for the info. It was a bummer to know this. I saw few videos on publishing the content to custom domains URL ( including wordpress) using obsidian - Here is one video like that. Does it mean custom domain has to be hosted by obsidian?

It looks there are ways one can convert markdown to HTML and publish it. The challenge is going to be reconversion of the hyperlinks to the custom domain links. Any solution to this?

There are alternatives to Obsidian Publish that you can self-host.
The video you linked shows one of those alternatives.
Here is a list of some of those alternatives: Obsidian Publish alternatives

The instructions for using a custom domain with Obsidian Publish are here: Set up a custom domain - Obsidian Help

I am sorry I am confused. Probably I didn’t frame the question properly ( confusion with the word self-hosting?). Here is the that site’s admin’s original post to avoid confusion. He has custom/original URL for this wiki. As per your documentation and he wants to move the hosting to cloudFare. As per obsidian documentation cloudFare is supported.

The easiest way to set up a custom domain or subdomain is to create a CloudFlare account and let CloudFlare manage your domain’s DNS.

I have the content in my obsidian vault in markdown languages with hundreds of links to other topics. When I publish it to his custom URL, will it convert it to HTML and see it as I see it with obsidian publish including the interactive graph?
coming back to his question.

1. Is the Obsidian site basically just static pages, or do you need nodejs or something to make it go? IOW, is it easy to host the Obsidian site on a WHM/cPanel server?

Appreciate any suggestion.

I am now more confused, lol.
And I can’t access the original post without an account.

You don’t need to run any servers yourself, we and CloudFlare take care of all of that.
The Obsidian Publish server does all the generation.

1 Like

And I can’t access the original post without an account.

I am sorry i didn’t realize that. Here is his message. I put ??? to hide some names.

We still have the ???.net domain on DreamHost. If we use it, I’ll probably transfer it to CloudFlare since their domain renewal prices are now lower in most cases, plus we get free CDN caching for the site.

We could then host it on the ??? server. (…)

1. Is the Obsidian site basically just static pages, or do you need nodejs or something to make it go? IOW, is it easy to host the Obsidian site on a WHM/cPanel server?

You mean to say he doesn’t need to host it on his server and it will still work. right?
Most of my conversion has links to topics [[topic]] , link type of things. No dataviews of dataviewjs etc.