Is it possible to create "interconected" tasks/checklists?

Hi! Is it possible to insert/refer to a checklist entry (task) that’s already in another place in the same document or in another note.

It would be useful to menage projects that have common tasks, for example: To buy a car I need to have document X, but to I also need document X for my vacation. So, if I already created ‘get document X’ in my new car plan, i would like to just refer to it in my vacation plan.

2 Likes

That sounds totally doable. You could just create links. There’s a whole bunch of link types including:

• Note Links:
    • If you have a note called ‘Get document X’ then just type ‘[[Get document X]]’
  • Section Links:
    • If you have a header in a note called ‘Get document X’ then type ‘[[Note Name#Get document X]]’
  • Block Links:
    • if the task is a line within a note then you can link to that specific line within the note using a block link that looks like ‘[[Note Name^fisb93nsk939]]’

For more information on those features check out the help vault.

1 Like

Absolutely. One of the beauties of the flexibility of Obsidian.

I just summary lists to collate tasks across my whole vault. For example, we are moving (from Sedona to Gilbert AZ) so I keep a summary list of things to do for each location and then general. No matter where it is in my vault, as long as it is tagged properly, it is collated into one of the summary list.

So something like

- [ ] #task Change mail address with USPS #move

Would be captured in the general “#move” list in my task summary document, regardless of where it was entered.

Looks like this.

# Moving Tasks

Master List of [[Summary of Items to be Sold]]

## General
```tasks
not done
description includes #move 
description does not include #Gilbert 
description does not include #Sedona 
description does not include #home_sale
```
## Actions for Gilbert
```tasks

not done 
description includes #Gilbert 
```

## Sedona Actions
```tasks

not done 
description includes #Sedona
description does not include #home_sale 

```

## Home Sale Actions
```tasks
not done
description includes #home_sale 
```

## Completed (Sorted by completed date)

```tasks
done
sort by done reverse
```
1 Like

Thanks, but this suggestion wouldn’t give the result I expect. What I need is a way to make the entire checkbox a “link” itself, so I could have the “same” task in different notes or in different parts of the same note. Your suggestion could indeed save me some time but in the end I would still need to check each individual “copied” task.

That’s interesting. Currently I’m using the checklist plugin instead of the task plugin, they have different workflows so it seems it’s one way or another.

As per egauthier suggestion, Tasks plugin is the most complete/flexible approach if u really want to manage tasks/todo. Note that other than tags like the example, u can also “tag” it with links like project page like below

- check bank loan entitlement #task [[buy a new car]]

As additional approach (that i use personally for quick to do, i use another app for project management), but instead by jotting down the task as per above, i then simply go to [[buy a new car]] note and then check the backlinks

3 Likes

You can create the task in one note and then embed it into other notes. Checking the box in any of the notes would check it everywhere. I have posted an example.

tasks_gif

Both of the links are embedded from a third note.

1 Like

@jwl You can embed it how? With a plugin? Your GIF text is tiny (hard to read) but also, doesn’t show how it’s accomplished.

Yes, it’s possible. I just found out how. See: Link to blocks - Obsidian Help

You can…either link to a specific “block” in the other note, or embed said “block” (“a paragraph, a blockquote, a list item, etc.”) from the other note into your note.

Both options are described at the link.

(This is what @DandyLyons is describing as “block links” in their post further up in the thread, although I could not find information in the Help Vault as they described, but rather only at the online Obsidian Help website.)

1 Like

I see. Another option is embedded links. For any of those links you can add a ! right before the link then the task will appear embedded in that section.

Then you can click the checkbox in one place and it will be checked in all the other places.

2 Likes

Place ! before a link, and it will become embedded into the file. Toggling the to-do from anywhere, the original or embedded, will toggle it everywhere. I only meant to show that it was possible to do so. This screenshot shows the syntax for creating an embedded wiki link.

embed-syntax

Everything after the # including the ^ (chevron) is the block link reference.

3 Likes

Thanks everybody, now I understood dandylyons sugestion and it’s the perfect solution! This program never ceases to amaze me.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.