Integrating Zapier to automate tasks across obsidian and all other (common) workflow apps

Hi all-

I am still pretty new to using Obsidian but it seems like a lot of plug-ins are developed to ease the transfer of information from an external application (Zotero, email, Dropbox, etc.) to Obsidian. I am wondering if this could be done more efficiently using Zapier (https://zapier.com/) or a similar service?

Zapier allows people to connect their common workflow applications and create custom automation workflows based on “triggers” and “actions”. As a very simple example, Zapier can be set up so that when you receive an email with an attachment, it will automatically add the attachment to Dropbox and send you a message on Slack about the new Dropbox file.

I think this could be quite powerful in some workflows, saving a decent amount of time importing information/data into Obsidian.

I do not have the experience or knowledge to do this, so I am just throwing the idea out there. I would enjoy discussing the idea further with anyone interested. Feedback always appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

22 Likes

Zapier integration would be really useful. I’d love to be able to tag something in Obsidian and have that trigger an app (e.g. if I tag something as “Task” Zapier takes it into my task manager)

1 Like

I was wondering how people is using Zapier or Make.com with Obsidian. It seems like there is no modules for it and those with Markdown are very limited.

I’ve seen this been requested years ago. any traction on integration? this is my main reason I haven’t switched over as yet. is there any plans on developing this?

I’m a little on thin ice here, but aren’t those tools used for remote access to your application/server? If that’s the case, then I don’t think it’ll come anytime soon (or even at all) to Obsidian which is a local application run whenever you locally decides for it to run. It’s not meant for “external” access.

To some degree can you use the action uri plugin, or build a plugin allowing such access with the limitations and possibilities that gives, but I don’t think this’ll be a native feature of Obsidian.

1 Like