Ghost integration

I was chatting recently with some of the folks at Ghost about how I wish I could edit ghost tags in plaintext since I tend to write my newsletters in plain text in Obsidian before copying them over, and they mentioned that it’s possible to integrate Obsidian with Ghost, which is a newsletter / website host thing.

Check out these apps for ref workflows
Ghost integrations – official apps, plugins & tools

Basically they use the Admin API
Ghost Admin API Documentation

And the main thing is to decide which content format to send into Ghost - the API can accept both MobileDoc (JSON), raw HTML, or pure markdown. Some apps (IIRC, iA Writer) have settings to let you choose which you’d prefer.

They all have tradeoffs around how content converts / ends up in Ghost Editor, so usually HTML is “best” by default - but if you use lots of nuanced Markdown then one might prefer one of the other options

I would love it if I could write the Roundup mostly in Obsidian and get it into Ghost automatically, and this might also solve some people’s “can I publish individual notes directly from Obsidian without having to use a complicated static site generator?” requests.

Related

Ghost allows for zapier integration I think.

9 Likes

Has any progression been made towards ghost integration?
I would love this! I’d also would like to contribute to the project as a hobbyist developer if there’s any!

I haven’t personally made progress on this, but the webhooks plugin should help make it possible.

i.e. it’s currently possible I just don’t know of any guides for it.

Alright very interesting, but this seems to do a post to the obsidian vault. How would it be able to post from the vault to the ghost api using the webhooks plugin? It only works one way, or am I wrong?

Edit: The webhooks on zapier are for premium members only as well

This sounds interesting. While I think Scott using ghost for my private page an integration would be nice

It has been a while so I have created this plugin for a simple publish to Ghost.
Link here: GitHub - jaynguyens/obsidian-ghost-publish: Write on Obsidian. Publish to Ghost with a single click.

At the moment, it only publish the current note to Ghost site. More will come.

I have created a PR for the plugin to add to the community here: Add Ghost publish plugin by jaynguyens · Pull Request #891 · obsidianmd/obsidian-releases · GitHub

5 Likes

Great project.

I tried manually installing it. The file main.js is missing. Could that be main.ts? After renaming the main.ts to main.js, I am getting the following error activating the plugin:

You probably tried to simply unzip the folder, instead of compiling code.

So you added the source files instead of the compiled files, and that can’t work.

Check the repo’s README, you need to:

1. npm i
  2. npm run dev
  3. Copy over the files generated by that former step (main.js, styles.css) as well as and manifest.json to your vault VaultFolder/.obsidian/plugins/your-plugin-id/

Thanks. I hope there is a facility to install this like using BRAT in obsidian to make install a lot easier.

2 Likes