Integrate with Vim Wiki

Here’s a quick tip for my fellow vim users. vim wiki is a powerful plugin that can link in between documents.

I was able to get it working by installing the plugin and changing the settings to point to my obsidian vault and using the markdown syntax.

Add this line to your vimrc file:

let g:vimwiki_list = [{'path': '~/repos/obsidian/',
                      \ 'syntax': 'markdown', 'ext': '.md'}]

*Change ~/repos/obsidian/ to the path of your obsidian vault.

Hope this helps someone like it helped me!

8 Likes

Hey, as a vim user you might be interested in this topic I made a while ago:

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks!

Hi! I am curious how your experience using the two has faired after a year.

I also wanted to use vimwiki and obsidian interchangeable. Did you have to resort to using absolute paths?

For example:

• Obsidian search for “Hello.md” in all the directories when you use [[Hello.md]]
  • However, vimwiki, takes that as a relative link, so it only looks for in in the current directory
1 Like

I’m also a vimwiki user who also uses Task Warrior and the tasklib/taskwiki subsystem to manage work tasks alongside notes and documentation. I have the same system set up at home for personal stuff and…don’t use it.

I’ve recently tried Obsidian again and between the .obsidian.vimrc plugin and some keymapping in the settings, I’ve approximated the behavior of vim + tmux + vim-tmux-navigator, at least insofar as navigating panes. It would be awesome to be able to minimally change this setup to allow working with notes in a terminal or in Obsidian.

If it’s too brittle to cobble together, I’ll just jump into Obsidian whole hog. But it would be great to hear others’ experiences.

I’ve added the code, but I’m not sure how it works.
What kind of command should I use to use the wiki?