Indexing time

Is it normal for a vault with 10,000 files to take over 20 minutes to index on a top of the line Gaming Laptop? Just wondering about the benchmarks.

Also, is it normal for a vault to index whenever one changes the Theme? I can pretty much reproduce that. I had Obsidian default, and changed to Minimal. Exited, and upon re-opening it indexed my vault. I then changed back to Obsidian default, exited, re-opened, and another indexing (for another 20 minutes).

  1. What is your “Show debug info”?

  2. Where is your vault stored? ie. Are you using any sync tools, or cloud folders?

Debug Info:
Obsidian version: v0.15.9
Installer version: v0.15.6
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.22000
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: vip
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 21
Plugins enabled: 11
1: Templater v1.12.0
2: Editor Syntax Highlight v0.1.3
3: Advanced Tables v0.17.3
4: Quick Explorer v0.1.38
5: Collapse All v1.5.2
6: Auto Linker v0.0.4
7: Text Format v1.7.3
8: Dataview v0.5.41
9: Style Settings v0.4.10
10: Reveal Active File Button v2.0.1
11: Pane Relief v0.2.7

Vault is stored on my C Drive, a 1 GIG NVME.

The indexing starts pretty much consistently if I close the vault and reopen within a minute. I don’t recall this happening with previous versions of Obsidian.

I sync via Obsidian Sync. Nothing else.

I have not tried to reproduce by disabling all my plugins. I was just wondering if it was a known thing and whether or not it was happening to others.

I don’t know if it’s known. Hopefully you get some other answers here. But it sounds pretty bad. I just want to make sure you’re aware of:

0.15.6 announcement said:
“This update introduces breaking plugin API changes. Update your plugins .”

Right, I remember that now. I have updated all of them but perhaps not all of them had updates. I’m thinking of the Auto Linker. Geez I would hate to give that one up.
Aside → I name my films “Exiled - 2006 - shelf bluray”, but articles etc refer to the film Titles only, of course… so this lovely plugin auto turns the references to a film’s title into a link because that’s what I have in my alias. Man I wish Obsidian could do that autmomatically. I really don’t want to give that up!

Ok, I’ve been at it for a while now, and I’m pretty sure there is a bug.
I opened my Film Vault (large) and waited until it finished indexing.
Then I selected “Open another vault” and selected my Main Vault (5,000 notes).
it indexed.
I closed it when it was done. I waited a bit and re-opened the same way (from within my film vault).
It indexed.
Once it was finished indexing, I disabled all of my plug-ins and reverted to the Obsidian default (dark) theme.
I closed it.
Reopened (again, using Open another vault) and it indexed.

Whenever I open a vault using the “Open another vault”, it indexes.

Hopfully someone else can reproduce.

I should note that I also disabled all snippets.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.