Include an option to toggle both sidebars as a hotkey

Use case or problem

If I’m in “writing mode” I want to hide both of the sidebars, because I’m only interested in the notes on the screen.

But when I’m in “navigating mode” (e.g. I’m searching / referring to my files / looking at graphs and tags etc), then those sidebars on the left and right are useful.

Proposed solution

Include an option to toggle both sidebars as a hotkey.

Current workaround

Toggle both sidebars individually or click “collapse / expand” manually :cry:

Related feature requests

Possibly related to: Provide default shortcuts for more hotkeys

5 Likes

I like your idea.

In case you are unaware of text expanders, something like AutoHotkey on Windows or Keyboard Maestro for macOS allows you to set a hotkey that would trigger the hotkey for toggle left pane then wait a quarter of a second and trigger the hotkey for toggle right pane. It is actually very easy to learn and helpful for many things.

Thanks.

Ah thank you. I’ll look into that, sounds like a good solution to my problem.

And I’m sure I can think of some other “sequence of shortcuts” that could be triggered by something like AutoHotkey.

Indeed. In fact, I have the same shortcut (cmd+`) bound to a “clean view” action in many of my apps. It generally always toggles sidebars, menu bars, etc.

1 Like

I liked the idea, so I made it

^1::

IfWinExist, ahk_exe obsidian.exe
{
Send !,
Sleep 30
Send !.
return
}
return

Ctrl + 1 would trigger it
Alt + , and Alt + . are set to toggling each side pane

2 Likes

Thank you, it works!

So many ideas with autohotkey… now I just need to learn how to build my own scripts haha. Seems simple enough by using your script as a template though, as I will just use it to automate sequence of hotkeys set up in Obsidian.

1 Like

Yeah AHK has a lot of potential, and is so fun. I don’t know much about coding, it’s just autohotkey is so simple that makes it possible for non-programmers like us to automate.
I made mine from someone else’s template too so no worry :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.