iCloud sync issues

I don’t remember seeing these referenced in any of the many threads about problems with iCloud. It describes one users irritation with iCloud sync, which he originally ascribed to his writing app, Ulysses.

Despite his delving, I’m not sure he ended up much further forward than ‘Don’t only rely on iCloud’ and ‘Always make sure you have an up-to-date accessible backup stored somewhere else’.

Ran into the same issues, very annoying. I will try to switch to the non-Store version of iCloud for Windows in the hopes that that improves things. Otherwise, I think I’ll just have to cut my losses with Obsidian and iCloud on Windows, maybe I’ll try it again once/if I ever get a Mac.

This is happening to me after a day or two switching to Obsidian, using a Mac and iPhone. Super frustrating. Oddly it’s not the notes, it’s the workspace and themes:

Same issue happened to me on the Windows/iCloud sync. Switched to an all Apple device workflow, but changes made on iPhone still did not sync to Mac from time to time, and I often got two different copies of notes with the same names on each device, with one version overwriting the other when the synchronization eventually kicks in. Would love to have a stable fix or at least some recommendations for syncing best practices.

1 Like

Based on others responses and my experience here, I’m not sure if using 8 is viable

I have a vault with just 16 files in it, and even that is more than iCloud can handle apparently. Even with the entire folder set to “Always keep locally” it makes no difference. This is a truly dire situation for anyone with an iPhone/iPad and a Windows PC as there’s effectively no way to use Obsidian across these devices.

Obsidian Sync is not an option for me either at 8 USD/month. That’s more than the price for Evernote ($2.50) + iCloud ($1) + Google Drive ($2) combined!

2 Likes

Is there anyone at this point who is successfully getting iCloud to sync? What is your set up?

// just to keep this thread open.

Potential Success

I was having the usual duplicate file issues using Windows 11, iCloud from the Microsoft Store, and Obsidian on iPhone.

When I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro, I took that opportunity to install the non-Store version of iCloud meant for Windows 8.1. This version just downloads all your files outright, instead of using the space-saving file-streaming technology that the newer iCloud, OneDrive, and Google Drive all utilise.

I’ve tested the following scenarios and experienced zero issues with duplicate files so far:

• Obsidian open on iPhone only and editing file
  • Obsidian open on Windows only and editing same file
  • Obsidian open on iPhone and Windows at the same time and editing the same file one either iPhone or Windows only
  • Obsidian open on iPhone and Windows at the same time and editing the same file on iPhone and Windows at the same time. I type one sentence on iPhone, wait for the sentence to appear on Windows, then type another, wait for it to appear on iPhone, and repeat

It’s been 2 hours, and so far it looks good. I will continue to test and report back tomorrow if either disaster strikes, or true success is achieved.

P.S.: Thanks for the hand-holding @pandichef !

1 Like

Success!

Ok, so after 3+ days of testing, I’ve noticed exactly zero issues or duplicate files despite being carefree, and leaving multiple copies of Obsidian running (laptop/desktop/iPhone) or open while I edit my notes.

I am happy and satisfied with my setup. Here are some details:

• Install the Windows 7 / 8 version of iCloud which is linked at the bottom of this article: Download iCloud for Windows
  • There is a downside: iCloud will sync down all files stored in iCloud Drive, which may or may not be a problem for you.

After 8 days, I have experienced one instance of the dreaded “File was modified externally” warning. Upon checking however, it did not created a duplicate (1) file, though I did lose the last word I typed.

I guess in summary, iCloud for Windows 8.1 mostly resolves the issue, but can still cause problems here and there.

For now, I can live with this.

I really hate for this to be my first post, but it is what it is I guess. I’m new to Obsidian, and am running 2 Windows 10 hosts (desktop and laptop) and an iOS phone.

I spent some time debating the usefulness of being able to access my vault on my phone, and without seeing this, thought housing my data on iCloud would be a workable solution. For me, it hasn’t been. I have less than 20 notes, and Obsidian/iCloud is not able to keep up with syncs. I can’t imagine it being capable of handing a full implementation.

I’ll be moving my data to Dropbox and forgoing phone access. I’m just glad I caught this early in the adaption process and I wish I had seen this thread before thinking of iCloud.

Thanks to everyone for testing and posting your findings. It is great to know that this community is active and supportive!

1 Like

So I’ve started using Windows in my workflow. I’m a heavy Obsidian user and use it across my MacBook Pro, 2 iPads, and an iPhone on the regular, and now Windows. I’m experiencing this changed “externally” bug.

Is there an ETA on when this will get fixed by the Obsidian team?

1 Like

Have you tried the iCloud for Windows 7/8 version here?

It’s not an Obsidian problem, it’s an iCloud+Windows problem unfortunately.

Before mobile was in the mix, I synced my vaults between a Windows PC and a Mac using OneDrive and it worked fine. (I use Obsidian Sync now.)

There should be some checking on Obsidians side to prevent it from nuking files when default setups are encountered, not downgrading iCloud for Windows, where a lot of potential security issues could be present.

Again, this isn’t an Obsidian problem. It’s an iCloud+Windows problem. Obsidian isn’t nuking files.

I think the ultimate solution about iCloud is using a iOS/iPadOS + MacOS. This will solve most of the wired problems.

Another solutions are:

1. asking for support for other free sync options other than iCloud in the iOS/iPadOS Obsidian
  2. using an android phone and other free sync options other than iCloud.

But the best solution is dumping iCloud. It’s hardly optimal even on pure apple juice.

2 Likes

A periodical backup of the important files on iCloud is a good complement. This is also suggested by the moderators of this community.
I found the duplicated files once or twice a month, in most of the case, they are the daily notes, which will generated automatically when I open the Obsidian. So, the mac and ipad may create the same daily note at the same folder before a successful sync is accomplished.
But I think I can live on this.

I used to work in a way that I kept the vault 100% locally on mac and sent a copy to the iCloud manually to sync with other devices periodically. However, you have to do a sync before you open the obsidian on the mac almost every time to sync back the latest update made on the ipad/iphone. And soon I realize that even with some synchronization tools, dealing with bidirectional synchronization on time is very painful and very ineffective. And iCloud can do this job automatically, and obsidian supports this very, comparing the files based on the modification time, i guess. That is enough for me. So now, I let iCloud do this for me.

I think any app that suggests “buy a new computer” or “don’t use the sync method that works with our native apps” as a solution is passing the buck instead of solving the problem that is created in the ecosystem they supposedly build these apps for.

I’m not going to ditch my iPad or iPhone, nor quit my job to stop using Windows when I basically have to.

Supporting multiple environments is something that the folks making this proprietary software decided to do, and this is one of those things that requires them to step up and fix their software to get to where the rubber meets the road.

2 Likes