How to deal with Google Photos on Android?

What I’m trying to do

I’m trying to get google photo to ignore totally my vault media folder.

Things I have tried

When I take a picture with my phone, the picture is created inside the Camera folder, and synced thanks to Google Photos. When I add the picture to an Obsidian note, it creates a copy of the picture with the same name inside the media folder.

When I’m deleteing the taken picture from Google Photos (on phone or on the web, to delete it from the sync), it deletes every occurence of the picture, the one in my obsidian vault as well as the one from my Camera folder.

Google Photos has global access to my pictures through permissions (required to delete pictures), and my obsidian media folder isn’t sync to drive. But as they have the same name, I think that it simply delete both.

Is there any workaround ? I can’t be the only one having this issue. Maybe renaming every new media when addind the picture could do something ? Is there a way to activate it or to use a plugin ?

The issue is active with Google Drive sync, Obsidian Git and Obsidian Sync, so the problem must be located inside Google Photos.

Thanks in advance and have a good day !

You can try adding an empty text file called .nomedia (with no file extension like .txt or .md) to your vault. That at least used to prevent photos in the folder from appearing in media collections like photo galleries. I don’t use Android anymore and never used Google Photos, so I don’t know if it will solve your problem now (or if it ever would have).

^^^ yes, this works perfectly and is what I do on Android.

1 Like

It worked ! Wonderfull, thanks for sharing that !

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.