How to access the console?

Very quickly:
I need to know how to access the Obsidian console. Thank you.

5 Likes

If you would like to access developer tools, you can find it in the menu bar (View > Toggle Developer Tools) or use the hotkey (cmd+ option + i on Mac and ctrl + shift + i for Windows).

20 Likes

There are two problems encountered:
1.- The console is not displayed by pressing in Windows the mentioned hotkeys. (Note: there are no repeated hotkeys).

2.- The menu mentioned by you is not shown either.

I am using Windows 8.1, Obsidian 0.11.13 (Installer 0.11.5).

When you are using Obsidian, with the Obsidian window focused, try pressing Alt+Ctrl+I (That’s an “i”, not an “L”). The Developer Tools sidebar should come up, and one of the tools within it is the console.

However, I want to make sure we’re talking about the same thing. The obsidian developer console will let you view normally-hidden error messages, but if you’re looking to type commands then you more likely actually want the command palette (Ctrl+P)

1 Like

Thank you in advance for your help.

Nothing appears to me. And no keyboard shortcut matches “ctrl + alt + i”. The Developer Tools does not appear either.

2 Likes

Sorry, it is almost solved. I have deactivated two plugins of “emojis” and “icons” that I think -in my humble opinion- were influencing.

In the end, testing I managed to open the programmers console with CTRL + SHIFT + i.

I still do not see the access to this console, via menu.

8 Likes

I’m having the same issue. I don’t use any of those plugins. I do use Templater, and I keep getting a new message from them telling me to view the console… ? Ctrl + Alt + i does nothing, and there is no View > Toggle Developper tools as far as I can see.

1 Like

Lise, please try typing CTRL+SHIFT+i when Obsidian is focused. For me (on Linux) that opens the developer console.

5 Likes

I second this.

To open DevTools in Obsidian (Linux and Windows): Ctrl + Shift + i

You can do the same while using Chrome.

5 Likes

Thanks Craig - that did the trick!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.