How do you use Obsidian and Zettlr with the same notes?

Does anyone use Obsidian alongside with Zettlr, and how do you do it?

Let me explain my problem: I have been setting up a Zettelkasten using the Zettlr app, and I would love to use Obsidian as well for the same stack of notes.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t figure out a way to make Zettlr and Obsidian fully compatible, and this is due to how the two apps handle internal links and information defined in the YAML header.

In Zettlr, links to other notes always refer to the notes’ UID, a date-based 14-digit number, not to the notes’ titles. Given that I keep changing my note titles a lot, I absolutely rely on Zettlr’s use of the never-changing UID for linking.

Unfortunately, Obsidian does not seem to understand UID-based links. For instance, suppose I have three notes:

1. top-level-note.md
---
title: "Top-level note /with/ special characters! ζ?"
uid: 20210516121557
---

Links to:
[[20210516121857]] Note with title as filename
[[20210516121949]] Note with title defined in YAML header

2.20210516121949.md

---
title: "Note with YAML title!?"
---

The *title* of this note is defined in the YAML header.
The *UID* is defined in the filename.
  1. Note with title as filename.md
---
UID: 20210516121857
---

The *UID* of this note is defined in the YAML header.
The *title* is defined in the filename.

While Zettlr understands that each of these notes has a title and an associated UID, Obsidian …:

1. … understands UID-based links only if the UID is defined in the filename. In this case, Obsidian does not understand that the “real” title is defined in the note’s YAML header. See image: link from top-level-note to note “20210516121949”.

2. … does not understand UIDs defined in the YAML header, instead expects a note with that UID as filename. See image: link from top-level-note to note 20210516121857, which should actually link to “Note with title as filename”.

Is there any way in Obsidian to use internal links referring to UIDs in the same way that Zettlr does?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.