Hotkeys for opening a note or internal-link in a new window, rather than a new pane

Things I have tried

Looking at the hotkey list in Obsidian 0.15.6, searching help.obsidian.md (which does not seem to be updated regarding the new pop-out window capabilities), reading the 0.15.x release notes (most useful: Obsidian Release v0.15.3 (Insider build) which tells me I can right-click on a link and then “Open in New Window”), searching the forum (found a somewhat related feature request but no other guidance).

What I’m trying to do

Hotkeys for opening a note or internal-link in a new window, rather than a new pane.
I am a frequent user of the various hotkeys to open a note (e.g. from File Explorer, or via an internal-link) in a new pane. Now that 0.15.6 has support for pop-out windows, I’d like to use these or similar hotkeys to open in a new window instead. I know I can right-click on a note in File Explorer or internal-link to open in a new window thanks to the 0.15.3 release notes, but the hotkeys like Ctrl+Click or Ctrl+Shift+Click or Ctrl+Alt+Enter are so much more convenient than dealing with a right click menu. I see that I could also bind a hotkey to “Move current pane to new window”, use the existing hotkeys to make a new pane, and then move the pane, but that annoyingly messes with my existing pane setup as well as being two steps instead of one.
Is there a one-step no-right-clicks-needed hotkey sequence to open a note or internal-link in a new window, instead of a new pane?
(If not, any suggestions for how I could make myself one, via an existing plugin or custom Javascript?)
Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.