Hide Zettelkasten ID in graph view

Recently I use Zettelkasten ID + Tile to arrange my note in same folder.
But the problem is when I preview them in the graph view, it’s a bit annoying to see these long digit ID.
So I would like to request a function to hide these ID. It would be great help to keep these unique ID and have a better preview.

18 Likes

Moved to feature requests
There’s a similar request here: Show title of Zettelkasten notes in graph view
But that request didn’t have titles in the filename, so this request - while related - is different

1 Like

I think the general idea is that you should name your files something like:

UID Some title

And then they would need to hide the UID from the Graph.

3 Likes

I was about to ask the same thing, I would appreciate to be able to hide the first xxxx characters of titles in graph view.

My notes look like 14digitID-some-file-name.md

The 14 digits include seconds and come from Zettlr.

Why not put the uid in the body of the note?

Putting the title before the UID makes reading other views easier. So long as you’re not wanting a time series view.

@vincit and @Dor maybe I’ll do this, put the UID in the body. I thought I’d get used to ignoring the prefix but it is in the way.

Adding support for hiding zettelkasten ID. It would be nice to have a selection switch to turn display of zettelkasten ID on/off in both graph view and search results. This aids readability, but the dates are there if we need them. The switch would just follow the zettlekasten format specified in the vault config; if the file prefix matches that format, it’s hidden.

3 Likes

There are multiple file-naming conventions around, some include the title implicitly.
This use case might be solved by more general request:
Use H1 or front-matter title instead of or in addition to filename as display name
e.g. by storing title-only in explicit “title” field in YAML header / front-matter.

Missing titles can be extracted from filenames by some plugin in a batch.