Help needed with MarkDownload Web Clipper

Things I have tried

I’m trying to save webpages to my Obsidian vault, saving to the root folder is fine.

I’e downloaded the MarkDownload plugin and the Advanced URI one, adjusted the MarkDownload settings to what seem should reasonably work but nothing is happening. Haven’t touchd Advanced URI since I’m not familiar with it

Would anyone be so kind as to help me out?
I clip a lot of stuff every single day :cry:

What I’m trying to do

1 Like

I can’t get it to work either. I’ve tried this one and several others with no positive results. In fact, I’m visiting the forum trying to get help also.

I got it working on Windows using Vivaldi a bit ago. It took a few tries to get the settings right (all of these might not be necessary), but this should get you up and running:

1. Download and enable “Advanced URI” in Obsidian.
  2. Add the web clipper in your browser.
  3. In “Manage extensions”, choose MarkDownload → Details → toggle ON “Allow access to file URLs”

1. Click on “Extension options”

1. Scroll down, check “Enable Obsidian Integration”, and set your vault name. I didn’t change any other settings.
  2. Turn extension off/on… just because :smiley:

To use: right-click in a page or after selecting text → Markdownload → “Send tab to Obsidian”. The browser should ask you if it can open Obsidian and a .md should be dumped into your vault. :cold_sweat:

Ignore the extension icon in the browser’s top right. It doesn’t display “Sent tab to Obsidian” for me (that’s what you want), and will only save the file to your set browser’s download location - usually Downloads or Desktop.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply. That mostly works in that it downloads the file to my Download folder. For some reason I can’t get it to download to my vault. I’ve decided the easier and perhaps better way is to download any webpage I’m interested in as a pdf file. That seems to work well enough and I have a very good pdf editor.

I’ve done this and it worked, thanks! The only bit I added is the Obsidian folder as shown below.

1 Like

Are you sure you are using the Sent tab to Obsidian? Its only in a right click popup when you are over the webpage text.

1 Like

Thanks for the on/off tip; that was the bit of magic I was missing to see the Send Tab to Obsidian in the right click menu.

1 Like

It doesn’t work for me, and I’ve tried all the suggested steps. Does anyone on here use Microsoft Edge (which is what I’m using)?

Turn on/off the extension (not on/off the Obsidian integration) works for me

a little tip, since I just ran into this after finding this thread: if you add “Obsidian Folder” you don’t have to put the full path, it’ll duplicate it. Just put the exact folder you want to download into.

For example, my vault is divided into different groups of folders, and instead of putting /home/$USER/Documents/Vault/Bookmarks, I just put “Bookmarks” and it downloads it to the proper location now. Otherwise, if you put the full path, it’ll copy the entire thing and create new paths inside your vault, which… probably isn’t what you want.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.