Folding in preview

I use external editors for the extra features I need

Mind sharing which app this is? :grinning:

WYSIWYG is not important to me. In my opinion, it is even harmful, because This will make the interface heavier and slow down the app.
And here are some improvements in previev will greatly simplify my life

2 Likes

Nevertheless it’s a major part of the roadmap. Option to see source will be there, but I think preview will disappear. You’d have to switch between source and wysiwyg.

1 Like

I use many at one time or another.

My primary option is WriteMonkey 3, which I used well before any shift to markdown. Looks simple, but is quite complex under the hood. Superb folding, but won’t interest many here because preview is just in a small side panel (I usually have it switched to other functions).

Some prefer to stick to the older version 2.7.
WM3 stores everything in a json database, but syncs that with linked files which is how I use it. 2.7 works only with files.

If I want WYSIWYG, I use Typora. Popular here and I know Silver is aiming at something similar for WYSIWYG here. Don’t especially like it myself.

I know some use VSCode with the Foam and Memo extensions. Probably OK if you usually have VSCode open. I’m not sure what extra functions they value over those in Obsidian.

Yes! Please! The un/ availability of folding in preview has a big influence on how I compose notes.

1 Like

it seems 0.81 bings more freedom to use HTML tags :

we can now use <details><summary> to create collapsible ‘outlines’ in preview mode.
but currently there are a few drawbacks :

• [[links]] don’t work inside the tags
  • no transclusions either
  • can’t nest code blocks / quote blocks

@Silver @Licat : Do you think we could achieve the same result as HTML5 <details> in GitHub · GitHub inside Obsidian ?

I would love the same result in obsdiain as the example below :

A collapsible section with markdown

Click to expand!
def func():
    return 'hello, world!'

Nested

root
bin
nest1
a
b
c
nest2

a
b
c

file1
file2
file3
boot

x
y
z

dev

p
q
r

etc

e
t
c

home

me
you
everyone

lib

lib
er
ate

but currently we get this :

7 Likes

Yes, please, do it :slight_smile: And not just collapsing - for some reason, tab-indents are also not seen in preview mode.

1 Like

it would be more efficient to review notes if we can impliment notion like toggle system.

24 Likes

Just created a forum account so I could second this. Toggling nested bullet points like Roam or Notion would be super helpful.

14 Likes

I agree. It is a really powerful feature to be able to hide information

6 Likes

I created an account to support this. I think this is a dealbreaker between roam research and Obsidian

5 Likes

You can toggle both headings and lists in edit mode (fold indent / fold heading). This works fine or me. From what I understand the edit mode will get the option to preview directly (WYSIWYG-style) so it looks neater as well.

2 Likes

In desperate need of this function too! I use this for note taking and I prefer to have most content hide to get a clean look and also critical for reviewing the notes. Right now the preview isn’t terribly helpful for reviewing notes. Please add this function…

3 Likes

When update Toggle list in preview mode ?

2 Likes

I also support this feature request. Maybe it would fit as plug-in suggestion tho.

2 Likes

I truly agree this tool is essential. As Notion works with Markdown syntax I found that the keyboard shortcut for toggles is > which is really helpful. I’m planning to mix both Notion and Obsidian and I’m glad they work with markdown as my notes can move to any system : )

2 Likes

I would love to see this feature. Sadly, it’s not on the developer Trello board. Maybe, after they implement the WYSIWYG editor, this may become a possibility.

1 Like

Remember that you don’t have to use Obsidian to review your notes.
Many have more developed fold options, though the navigation between documents will probably not duplicate.

It would be great if the folding feature could be used in preview too.

I think it would also be very useful if the note could retain its current fold status.

37 Likes

i like to see fold heading and fold indent feature in preview windows

5 Likes