Folder as markdown note

Thanks for suggesion.
Now it is possible to change the note file name automatically with the plugin of version 0.4.0. However you have to change the folder structure as described in the plugin repo page.
Please leave message about the plugin to the post Folder Note Plugin: Add description note to folder. I think the current post maybe better for idear sharing.

1 Like

Thanks you. I really appreciate it.
The other issue Is that renaming only works one-way (from folder to note). I always rename the note so that Obsidian renames the links to it.

I don’t use this style of folder note, so it has not been fully tested. Now the issue has been fixed, please update to the latest version.

1 Like

I tried, It’s not working.
Also, every time I reopen obsidian the notes are visible, they only hide when I click on their folder.

1 Like

I think my plugin called Zoottelkeeper does something similar: it creates and maintains index files of every folder and subfolder, and reflects on events of file creation, deletion and file or subfolder move.

It can be tried via the official catalog of plugins in Obsidian.
and last but not least: any feature requests, feedbacks and/or stars are welcome on git:

4 Likes

I really liked reading Dendron’s website too. Could this be accomplished with hierarchy tags? The refactoring part is where this gets tricky. We need to be able to edit the name of the tags (edit the hierarchy) when branches need modified or “moved”. This isn’t possible in Obsidian at this time, which you also commented on here.

2 Likes

+1 for the feature request. I also come from Trilium Notes, and this was a really attractive feature that I can’t find here in Obsidian.

It’s not a feature request and unlikely to be added to core. But you can try alx-folder-note. Not yet available in community list but its basic function is much more improved.

For anyone who is using xpgo’s folder note, I’ve published a new folder note plugin with many huge improvements, now available on community plugins list: aidenlx/alx-folder-note

7 Likes

This is really great, thank you @aidenlx!!

I have one request and not sure how doable that is (no programmer here…). I usually store my “note description” not in a YAML field but in an inline field (like Abstract:: xxxx). Would it be possible for the plugin to recognize these for the Description Field?
I really love that you can set a description field and so on the “note cards” the intended description appears. It would just make this feature a little more useful for me.

Again, thanks for the great plugin!

1 Like

Tracked in here now: Feature: Support dataview fields · Issue #19 · aidenlx/alx-folder-note · GitHub

2 Likes

Thank you – this would be awesome! (And sorry for not creating it on GitHub directly.)

Great plugin, just what I was looking for!! Thanks :slight_smile:

One thing I think would be helpful, being able to choose default action when clicking the notes, for example: Open in new window by default.

You should be able to do so by middle clicking on note title

I don’t get the same behaviour, when clicking the note title from the folverv it opens the note, when doing it with CTRL key then it opens two pages of the note.
See the following gif

Any chance to support Obsidian on iOS/iPadOS?

Seems to work quite well after changing isDesktopOnly in manifest.json to false:

There is a (configuration iCloud sync related?) issue though: folders are behaving like ordinary folders if I open/close Obsidian on any of my other devices.

Here is an explanation:

• I’m opening Obsidian on my iMac, everything is working great. The folders are looking like this:
    Снимок экрана 2021-08-23 в 20.13.20
  • Now I’m closing Obsidian on iMac and switch to iPad and opening/closing Obsidian here
  • Then I’m going back to iMac. After opening Obsidian the folders are looking like this (so, they are normal folders without associated notes):
    Снимок экрана 2021-08-23 в 20.15.53
  • Restarting the app on iMac makes folders work like notes again.

The same happens on iPhone if I’m opening/closing Obsidian on iMac: I should restart an app to force folders to act like a note. This does not happens if I’m not opening Obsidian on other devices. This makes me think, that this is some kind of configuration sync issue. I use iCloud-based synchronisation.

UPD: this does not to be an issue when using xpgo’s folder note.

Do you have any ideas how this can be fixed?

Thanks!

tracked here: Open file in folderv with modifier also open it in original leaf · Issue #20 · aidenlx/alx-folder-note (github.com)

1 Like

Can you show me the console output on your iMac when this issue occurred? Screen recording with console opened is even better.

To check for errors, first open the developer tools by pressing Ctrl-Shift-I on Windows/Linux or Cmd-Opt-I on macOS, and then go to the “Console” tab. If you want to save the error to a log file, you can right click on the error and choose “Save as…”.