Find and toggle any on/off setting from the Command Palette

Use case or problem

I would like to find and toggle some settings more quickly. The Editor settings Show frontmatter and Default view mode are two good examples.

Obsidian includes the latter in the Command Palette, which is a good solution. Expanding that solution to encompass all settings might impact performance or make it difficult to navigate the palette.

Proposed solution

Add an option in the command palette to search for any setting, opening a new command palette prompt. The user can search for any setting. For boolean/switch settings, the user can toggle the setting from the palette. For other settings, the command palette will bring the user to that setting.

Current workaround (optional)

Open the settings from the command palette and then look for the setting you want. Might even have to touch the mouse and click something. Oh no.

Related feature requests (optional)

12 Likes

This would be so nice! Wouldn’t have to stop at on/off booleans either. For any settings with dropdowns, the Command Palette could enter into a submenu where the item could be selected.

Use case or problem

The command palette needs more power. How good it would be if it made every toggle-able option in Obsidian accessible in Ctrl+P menu?
For instance: It is pain to toggle CSS snips everytime from settings.

Proposed solution

Refer the Command Palette in Sublime text editor to understand what I mean.

Current workaround (optional)

none.

Related feature requests (optional)

none.

2 Likes

Would also be great to be able to assign hotkeys. For example, readable line length is a setting I like most of the time, but any time I need to do anything with a table, it becomes a huge pain. Would be nice to be able to toggle this with a shortcut.

4 Likes

Agreed!

I limited the scope of the feature request to what I thought looked like a vertical slice of the app that fits within a reasonable amount of developer effort (assuming that the proposal is itself worth pursuing). Seeing whether users adopt this functionality might give some indication about whether users also would adopt a deeper-digging, do-all-the-things preferences manager in the Command Palette. Think of this feature request as an MVP in that direction.

Plus, if I didn’t limit the scope then I’d end up asking for the Palette to support custom VIM-like hotstring commands that jump to specific sub-menus and options. And for warm cookies.

Maybe someone could make a plugin for this?

This readable line length is exactly the reason lead me here!

interesting idea, I am using QuickAdd to make such menu for my-self, which takes time to create for every command. it would be nice to have some way to categorize them easily. remembering keyword to search them gets harder as we go forward and number of commands increase.

1 Like

Would love to hear more about this approach. I thought QuickAdd was mainly for creating daily notes. Did not realize it is for building general workflow tools.

It seems like more settings have appeared in the Command Palette since 2020. Much appreciation to the application and plugin developers for those.

Just coming back here to add my vote for some toggles in command palette.

• Readable Line Length
  • Show Frontmatter

I’m not sure how I can accomplish this with QuickAdd?

1 Like