File Explorer Custom Sort

I too an a newbie to Obsidian and would love to have this feature introduced to this otherwise really customizable notetaking app!

1 Like

Do try the Bartender plugin (easiest through the BRAT plugin). It’s easier and more robust than it was for a while. At least it is once you have absorbed how you do it.

Strongly suspect that it might be sherlocked at some point, but that could be some time away.

I agree, I can admit that a native option may be slightly more convenient but I’ve been using Bartender for months now with zero problems beyond needing to manually configure it in the beginning.

1 Like

The workaround I use for this, to “pin” a note, is to start the title with an underscore “_”. It uglies up the title, but does auto-sort it to the top of the folder.

Any news about this feature ?

3 Likes

Custom Sort saves order to XML File - I think we are not far from PDF page ordering functionality which could use similar drag and drop feature and save format to XML File - And “Print Functionality” could then read from this earlier generated XML file and create a unified PDF from all “needed” notes for whatever reasons - web page or PDF or hard copy

I may sound idiotic but those are my thoughts for now :slight_smile:

Request for more control feature in the order of folders I prefer to control the folder and tasks manually

please add this feature

1 Like

I’ve naturally settled on doing that by adding an ! to the beginning

1 Like

Hi,
for my personal purposes I’ve created a plugin which allows for full control over the order of files and folders in Obsidian File Explorer. Order is specified in YAML in front matter. Each folder can have its own ordering logic, or can stay with the Obsidian standard sorting. You can use sorting and grouping rules or direct order specification by listing names (wildcard supported). Or mix and match.

I’ve been using this plugin for some weeks already and it looks like it nicely fills the gap of the missing feature of Obsidian.md (which I love at first sight BTW!)

See if it fits your needs as well

5 Likes

I tried manual and via BRAT. It does not work yet.

Custom sort ordering is still not available, neither like a core feature nor a widely used plugin. Seems like a fundamental limitation of Obsidian.

A word from devs or someone knowledgeable would be much appreciated :open_hands:

2 Likes

Hi @KB1995,

the simplest explanation of the message could be that you installed the plugin and enabled it without prior creation of some sorting specification. In that case, the plugin informs you that it didn’t find any valid sorting specification, hence it will remain suspended.
If that’s the case, please download the simple example sortspec.md file (part of plugin documentation) and put it somewhere in your vault, then click the ribbon button again:

Otherwise, if the scenario causing the reported message is different (e.g. you created some sorting configuration already) or the example sortspec.md doesn’t help, please create a new ticket here:

Please include key information like the platform (mobile? desktop? what system?), the details about the scenario, etc.

1 Like

Bartender has worked flawlessly for me for five or six months now, this might be difficult for plugins to do but not impossible. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Wondering how this is not the top requested feature on here? Such an obvious feature to have. Critical for many potential users workflow and Obsidian’s competitiveness with other platforms. It’s the one limitation that has kept me from abandoning Scrivener and fully adopting Obsidian. And it would be a completely unobtrusive feature for all current users who prefer to organize with say a decimal system or whatever.) Odd there isn’t greater momentum on this. Is there some weird Zettelkastenian line in the sand on this point in the community or something?

4 Likes

Different people have different priorities.

Also, splitting attention from the existing thread(s) about it isn’t going to help the momentum.

You should add this thought to the thread that already exists. Like those posts and bump that thread. This feature might not be a priority right now but if it has some momentum the devs will get to it.

4 Likes

Not sure if a simple +1 suffices, but I add mine. After a good amount of research I installed Obsidian and converted my first few files. I just assumed that a custom sort was possible. It is a “game-breaker” feature. I have installed Bartender in the meantime, but wish to be reassured that this will be a core feature.

I would be more confident if there was some noise from the developers.

5 Likes

OK, so I notice that this feature is not on the Roadmap. In fact, there are no short-term features listed. Though apparently the developer is working on a corkboard. But there’s no indication of when this roadmap was last updated.

Tabs were added in 0.16.2, so the roadmap been updated recently.

Please do this!

1 Like