Failed to load or browse community plugins

Steps to reproduce

  1. In Systems settings, in Community plugins, check for updates.
  2. In Community plugins, click Browse

Expected result

  1. To be given the status of the installed community plugins and for them to be updated if needed.
  2. To browse the community plugins.

Actual result

Following error messages appeared:

  1. “setting.third-party-plugin.msg-failed-” “check-for-updates”
    “No plugin updates found.”
  2. “Failed to load community plugins”


  • Operating system: Windows 10
  • Obsidian version: v0.11.6

Additional information

  • I’m not in China.
  • I’m running the standard Windows firewall. I haven’t had any problems like this until today.
  • Running another instance of Obsidian, an older version, on the same local network and on another Windows 10 machine works fine - I can update and browse plugins.
  • The problem occurs whether I use a vpn or not.

can you access github on this computer?

are you home or in business network?

what does the console say (cltr-shift-i)?

Yes, I can access github.

I’m on a home network.

The console looks like this:

do you have some custom configuration on your windows firewall?


Since this issue came up, I’ve added rules for Obsidian. They haven’t made any difference.

Turning off the firewall doesn’t make any difference either.

I think you have a network problem.
I don’t think it’s a problem with 0.11.6. You can try to remove it, complitely and reinstall obsidian.

You can also try to reboot your router.

Well, thanks for looking into this. I’ll go and fiddle with my networks and try to figure this out.

I think this has something to do with 0.11.6.

I made no changes to my network configuration.

I uninstalled Obsidian, renamed the Obsidian folder in C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Obsidian\Obsidian.exe and then reinstalled Obsidian v 0.11.3.

I was able to browse community plugins as normal as well as install plugins and then check for updates.

I uninstalled Obsidian, deleted the new Obsidian folder in C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Obsidian\Obsidian.exe and changed the old folder back.

On installing v 0.11.6, the problem as described above returned.

uninstalling means uinstalling. Not sure what you are doing here.

Just Uninstall and also removeC:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Obsidian\

1 Like

Right, that’s exactly what I did. As you describe in \Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Obsidian.

The “Obsidian.exe” in my description makes this unclear. Sorry for that.

And, as a result, the updating/browsing plugins worked fine in 0.11.3. When I went back to 0.11.6, the problem came back.

I’m not that clued up about the technical aspects of Obsidian, but what I did here seems to show that there’s something not right with 0.11.6.

Shouldn’t this be looked at?

1 Like

Just to finish off and in case anyone else has this problem: I started from scratch as @WhiteNoise suggests above. And I got my insider status back by entering my details into Account.

I’m now back to the latest insider build v0.11.6. And I can load and browse community plugins as before.

It seems an odd problem to me. I’d be interested to know why it happened.

Thanks again @WhiteNoise.

1 Like

Same issue here with me too. I don’t have any issue with network. Checked it. I don’t live in China, so not behind any firewall too. I had uninstalled the application and started again. I went though almost all the threads on this community plugin error related issue but don’t seem to find a solution. Till date, Obsidian was smooth but this issue seems to be with the update.

Thanks beforehand.

My issue got solved the next day. It does really seem like sth to do with network issue.