Excalidraw - Full featured sketching plugin in Obsidian

Hi, Is it possible to set a maximum width for links and transclusions so that long lines wrap ? Resizing a text box simply scales the text. I would love to have a way to resize the box and have the text wrap to fit.

2 Likes

I noticed that you integrated pressure sensitivity for the pen in one of the latest updates - I am coming from version 1.2 where there was none and the pen stroke always had the same width - unfortunately for me this new updates makes things worse (using a Wacom Intuos Pro) because the text is now even bigger than before.
My feature requests:

• Make the pressure sensitivity optional in the settings
  • Make two new smaller stroke sizes for the pen (right now its way to big for most use-cases)

Keep up your fantastic work!

FOSS is love FOSS is live :smiley:

2 Likes

This is something I would love to see too!

Thanks for this excellent plugin. I only miss a “hand tool”.

Is this fully offline?

1 Like

Seconding this.

The lightest stroke width currently is too thick.

I have a strange problem. After creating a drawing with the Excalidraw plugin, closing Obsidian and re-opening it. Obsidian starts to open multiple windows of this drawing each in a different pane :frowning: It looks that it continues until my memory is filled (which is a little hard because my MBP has unified memory…:wink: ). Nevertheless this makes the use of Excalidraw rather difficult to be effective. During opening of these windows I get sometimes the message : " Error loading drawing : cannot read property “path” of null. Try manual fixing or sync…"

I disabled some plugins, tried to look at the configuration of obsidian but did not find anything. Anybody an idea ?

Btw I’m running Obsidian on macOS 12.0.1, which ran fine.

Discussed and seems solved. Root cause looks to be an interference of another plug-in which gives this problem. After uninstalling the other plugin the problem seems to be solved.
See Closed #280.

I’m really enjoying using Excalidraw. It’s provided me the smoothest workflow that I’ve been able to find when going from rough visual idea organization to detailed notes.

Question: Is it possible, in a text element, to type ‘[[’ and be presented with the drop down of notes available to link to?

My current workaround is to place a text element and then go into Markdown mode and press ‘[[’ to insert the link to the note that I want.

Thank you for your work! It is much appreciated. :slightly_smiling_face:

Unfortunately, adding that feature would require heavy change to the core Excalidraw component… which I am trying to avoid, to ensure the Obsidian plugin can benefit from the on-going development of the core Excalidraw component on the long run.

There are couple of ways around the issue though.

1. There is a command palette action to insert a link to a page (I think the default shortcut is CTRL+SHIFT+k)
  2. You can switch to markdown view to edit/change links and transclusions. In Markdown view the [[^^ [[filename# to search for blocks or headings also works.
  3. You can also drag and drop files from the Obsidian File Explorer.

Ah! I did not know about CTRL+SHIFT+K. I just tried it and that’s perfect.

Thank you very much!

I just noticed that binding text to shapes is possible in Excalidraw. Would LOVE to see that brought over to the Obsidian Excalidraw plug-in, if that’s possible, since my hope is to use Excalidraw primarily as a mind mapping tool.

CleanShot 2021-12-18 at 16.08.43

3 Likes

Agreed, what a great feature! I hope it comes to Obsidian too.

@zsviczian - Just want to say that your Youtube content lately has has been top-notch. I recently moved into a new role at work as a customer journey lead. I have no experience in that position, but the business thought I was well suited to it. Your content and your plugin has really helped me with visual strategic thinking and getting better at visually presenting information. You’ll be getting a few coffees from me. Thanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I see the sticky-notes is now available in Excalidraw for Obsidian! Thank you so much – what an awesome feature.

2 Likes

Is there any way to make links in embedded drawings clickable?

When I have ![[an embedded drawing]] in a note, clicking it will take me to the drawing itself.

Is there any way to make the links in the drawing clickable?
I would love to have embedded drawings as dashboards with clickable links in my notes without having to change the whole note to a drawing.

1 Like

The MindMap functionality sounds really interesting, I’ve not yet used Excalidraw so will take a look.

As context for my PKM workflow/needs from Obsidian, I would love to be able to create in Obsidian my own visual linkages between notes, hyperlink-style in a hand drawn graphic - as an alternative to graph mode’s automated maps. This would suit my thinking-on-the-fly style of note-taking which consists of a lot of concept-/mind-mapping. I tend to create maps as a way to integrate new ideas with existing knowledge, and as a way to brainstorm (for example for writing projects, or for product development).

I’m currently doing all my mind mapping in the Concepts app on iOS (also available on Android), but it has no hyperlinking functionality so currently the only way I know of creating this sort of document is as a separate step within a slides-type app (Keynote/ Powerpoint/Slides) or desktop publishing app, but this is very clumsy and only really suitable for “sharing ideas” that you’ve already “thought about” in some sort of final design format, like an infographic, rather than as part of the “thinking workflow” that Obsidian is so good at supporting.

It may not be immediately, but I’ll be sure to let you know how I get on.

1 Like

Hello! First of all awesome plugin.

I’d like to know if there is any way (or if it it would be possible) to “consolidate” excalidraw drawings inside Obsidian. What I mean by this is, if I make a drawing and I know I won’t modify it further, it would be cool to have the option to convert it to an actual image (obviously losing some functionality on it) and replacing the embed with the final image. This would be very cool for sketching stuff inside obsidian and keeping only the image in the end.

edit: I see now that there’s a way to export the drawing as PNG, but doing it that way requires to take an extra step and manually replace the embed in the note, making it less convenient.

This is amazing! I would like to ask is there an Android version requirement?

I have had success in Android 12, but on an Android 10 (tab s4) device, the installed and enabled plugin launches no GUI and page remains empty. Obsidian 1.0.5 and plugin 1.5.30.

This seems really great.

There’s just something I don’t fully understand. Maybe someone can help me out here.
As I understand it, Excalidraw is a Web App. But how does the implementation as a plugin work? Does this mean I have to be online to have it work? Will there be any kind of regular or irregular connections to an external server to make it work (exept for the initial plugin download through obsidian plugin browser, of course).

Thx upfront :slight_smile:

1 Like