Escaping 'x' as a multiplication symbol yields '\x' instead of 'x'

Steps to reproduce

Type \x in editing view between two numbers (e.g. 0\x10). Switch to reading view.

Expected result

A regular x between the two numbers (e.g. 0x10), rather than a multiplication symbol (×).

Actual result

The escape character remains when viewed in reading mode (i.e. 0\x10).

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10 Home
  • Debug info:
SYSTEM INFO:
 	Obsidian version: v0.13.19
	Installer version: v0.13.19
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Safe mode: on
RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Additional information

I don’t think that this is something that we do. I think this is something that chrome’s rendering does on its own. There’s nothing in the html that indicates a different character.

I just tested with the commonmark dingus and it seems that we’re spec compliant here
EDIT: Fixed link to the wrong dingus sample.

So is there no way to achieve the desired effect? i.e. just a normal ‘x’ rather than a multiplication sign

I believe this is a font issue. Perhaps a weird font ligature that is baked in the font. if you change font/theme maybe it’ll work.

Writing a normal ‘x’ works just fine for me, I get a normal x.

While the two characters looks very similar, I can verify that it’s an x rather than the multiplication sign when I copy paste it into Chrome’s URL bar and it suggests me words that start with an x.

I guess that’s the case, I changed to the Minimal theme and it no longer formats as a multiplication sign.

Which theme are you using? Because in Obsidian’s default theme it is definitely a multiplication sign for me, not an x. It copies as a normal x but does not render as one.

Actually I think it is indeed a “ligature” from the font. It’s just that it’s a ligature in the font Inter which we use by default.

See more here: Unwanted "smart" replacement of the letter x with a multiplication sign · Issue #222 · rsms/inter · GitHub

Gotcha. I’ll just use a different theme then. Thank you guys for the help.