Enable use of hidden files and folders starting with a dot /dotfiles/.dotfolders within Obsidian

Any updates on this one? My organization would love to be able to use this if added. Currently incompatible with Azure Wikis.

1 Like

+1 for this request

1 Like

A files folder in the vault .obsidian folder that you can put images in, that you can reference inside obsidian but that don’t show up in the file explorer.

Idea that would solve this that will probably be easy to implement.

Ability to right click a folder on the left and press hide or unhide

Toggle show hidden folders in settings

1 Like

+1 for this too, it would also allow for gitbook-style attachments such as .gitbook/assets media and images to show up.

Duplicate of Respect hidden folder, but can we PLEASE get some attention to this feature? I’ve been waiting close to a year for this development, so that we can adopt this as a solution for our business. Having attachments in hidden .folders is a no brainer for developers.

+1000000 for this feature

Please, consider implementing hidden folders support for images and other attachments. It shouldn’t be hard to do, but will considerably improve the workflow for a lot of users like me and others in this thread.

Thanks in advance!

I’m fairly surprised this posted as a feature request, because it has to be a bug. Any path that contains a hidden folder is still a legitimate file system path. Hidden is hidden, not ignored, banned, blocked etc. To me it just makes Obsidian unusable for anything but daily notes.

3 Likes

Two years later, and no progress. Although it can’t be that hard to implement something like that. Then just a few more years without Obsidian. Too bad.

2 Likes

3 days later and still not progress. Unbelievable.

I currently use underscore in from to sort of group various folders that should be hidden, ideally. Like _attachment. I wish they would not clutter my view.

2 Likes

Pleaase!
We need this feature

1 Like

+1 for this request.

2 Likes

+1 for this request.

1 Like

+1 for this request

1 Like

Use case or problem

I prefer to save linked images into a hidden folder, such as .assets, so that they will not mess up with documents. But, in this way, Obsidian will not try to load contents in those “hidden” folders, resulting that images are not rendered in markdown preview.

Proposed solution

I have known that currently, Obsidian will not reading contents in hidden folders.
But if it possible to add an option to enable reading contents in those folders (only linked resources in documents, not all contents in those folders).

1 Like

+1 pleeeaase. It would make things so much easier to just be able to use an “.attachments” folder for compatibility with Azure DevOps wikis :hugs:

1 Like

+1 for this request

I have tried a hacky solution with a plugin I found on github, which can do the trick. But only on one machine. As soon as you try to introduce sync, at least Obsidian’s paid for sync feature, it all falls apart (I’m guessing it ignores any “.” folder that isn’t “.obsidian.md”). I had a hell of a time trying to fix sync issues when I tried to implement this one.
Not sure if syncing via other routes (google drive, dropbox, self hosted server) would have any other effects as they’re jus syncing everything in the vault folder regardless?

+1 here too, some programming languages require filenames to start with a dot; so this is preventing me from sharing my vault folder between obsidian and stuff like vscode.

IDK when this plugin was introduced, but I believe the community plugin “Hide Folders” does what you want.

obsidian://show-plugin?id=hide-folders

We are not taking about showing or hidden the folder in the file explorer (though the mentioned extension will be useful), but we want that Obsidian can access the content in hidden folders that starts with ., e.g., .assets.

1 Like