Edit transcluded (embedded) notes (blocks) in place (likely requires WYSWYG first)

Encourage everyone to download and use this plugin for copying and pasting block and section links.

Given the complexity of developing an editable transclude, the topic of future proofing, markdown standards, and the relatively few folks that use internal links (I’d wager most folks don’t grok transclusion), I doubt this ability will rise above anytime soon.

2 Likes

+1 I think this would really save me some time for referencing characteristics for my characters in my novel.

2 Likes

+1 I really need this. As someone who transitioned from notion, it’s something have become used to. Embeds are fine but I dislike the indentation. The notion auto sync blocks are the best.

2 Likes

Did you use css to remove the purple indent?

Some people here seem to lack some respect for plugin developers. They create their plugins in their free time without being paid (except for a tiny donation).

I agree with most of the limitations of Make.md mentioned above, but you could’ve said it better way. And if you don’t like something about a plugin, you can easily modify the source code and contribute to making everyone’s life slightly easier. Even if you don’t code, you can still file an issue on GitHub to propose your idea.

Edit: I just want this great community to continue to be a place where everyone can share their small ideas, tools, plugins, themes, … without being discouraged. No need for aggressiveness.

5 Likes

There are several ways to do it.

You can use the CSS snippet shared here, but it only works in the reading view:

Alternatively, the Minimal theme provides an option to enable it, which you can configure using the Style Settings plugin:

This works in both the reading view & live preview.

2 Likes

+1 from me :smiley:

1 Like

Some people here seem to lack some respect for plugin developers. They create their plugins in their free time without being paid (except for a tiny donation).

I agree with most of the limitations of Make.md mentioned above, but you could’ve said it better way. And if you don’t like something about a plugin, you can easily modify the source code and contribute to making everyone’s life slightly easier. Even if you don’t code, you can still file an issue on GitHub to propose your idea.

It’s not at all easy for a non-developer to change the source code for a plugin, especially when the plugin developer has already spoken at length about the limitations of their approach. I am not bashing the developers of the make.md plugin, I’m just re-iterating that it simply does not work properly and is full of bugs and therefore does not count as a solution to this problem. Even Some of us already have filed github issues and spoken to the developer. We are way ahead of you. And if you can’t stand the thought of someone calling an ugly, easily breakable string of random text what it is (an ugly, easily breakable string of random text), then you will never understand.

yes, very need it

2 Likes

+1 for this

I am considering switching out to logsec since the more my vault grows the more cumbersome having to go to multiple notes to edit embeds becomes

3 Likes

Me too. I’ll probably stick it out for this since Logseq lacks WYSIWYG, vim, many plugins, and I’m unsure about outliners in general. But this feature alone is pretty important so I keep my eyes open for others.

3 Likes

+1, because of a better workflow.

2 Likes

+1 as well

1 Like

I’m curious about the feasibility of this idea. Does someone with greater technical knowledge of the underlying architecture of Obsidian know for certain a viable path to making this feature possible that doesn’t involve the constantly broken make.md developer’s approach?

It would be great to have a better idea of whether we should wait this out or seek alternative solutions (e.g. gather the community to start developing our own working plugin).

It’s interesting that we have no heard from the Obsidian devs about editing embeds in place. I wonder what their thoughts on this is.

2 Likes

Can’t speak to the technical feasibility, but it is an Obsidian team member who seems to have created this topic and it is tagged valuable which is always a good sign.

6 Likes

I was reading a comment thread today about Obsidian’s chinese competitor, Siyuan:

"Siyuan has some interesting out-of-the box features like “every block has unique ID and can be referenced from anywhere“, “you have some degree of control on nesting and formatting blocks”, and “you can write SQL queries for blocks in notes”

I wonder if that could be of use in conceptualizing the approach for Obsidian.

Siyuan: SiYuan - Privacy-first personal knowledge management system that supports Markdown, block-level ref, and bidirectional links

3 Likes

this feature in Obsidian would be a total game-changer for a bunch of reasons:

Super-Charged Efficiency: Talk about leveling up your note-editing game! Imagine just clicking a link and bam, you’re editing the linked note right there. No more hopping back and forth between notes – that’s a serious time-saver and a productivity booster.

1. Edit on the Fly: Got a linked note? Need to tweak something real quick? No sweat. This feature lets you make changes right in the heat of the moment, without losing your train of thought. It’s like having superpowers for your notes – you keep everything flowing and relevant without missing a beat.
8 Likes

I would very much like to be able to edit transcluded content in place. My daily workflow would be much improved with this ability :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I too would like this feature implemented, and my workflow would be much improved.

5 Likes

Big +1 on being able to edit transcluded (embedded) notes. Without it, it really hampers the usefulness of transcludes, but it is so crucial. It causes friction and interrupts your workflow whenever you need to edit it.

Does anyone know of any work arounds or plugins?

5 Likes