Drag and drop does not embed in Ubuntu 22.04

Steps to reproduce

In Ubuntu 22.04 using Gnome, drag and drop an image, mp4, or pdf copies the path and name of the file instead of embedding it.

Shift-drag and drop has no effect. Ctrl-drag and drop also copies the file name.

When trying multiple times on a note, some times it just works. No apparent logic.

However, copy-paste works correctly (embeds file).

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes. Problem was reproduced in the Sandbox Vault.

Expected result

File is embedded.

![[Filename.jpg]]

Actual result

Path and name to file are copied in the note.

file:///home/user/Documents/images/Filename.jpg

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.3.7
Installer version: v1.3.7
Operating system: #50-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Jul 10 18:24:29 UTC 2023 5.19.0-50-generic
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

Additional information

Problem appeared after migrating to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. It never appeared in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Gnome).

This bug was previously reported here ( Drag and Drop Images does not copy / embed ) but was closed. I can reproduce the problem exactly, also in the sandbox. I do not know how to post to a closed topic, apologies if there was another way to report this.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a new note.
  2. Drag an image (jpeg in this case, I haven’t tested other types of attachments) from File Explorer to note. Image is correctly copied to the vault and embedded in the note.
  3. Drag a second image from the same folder in the same way, and the image is not copied to the vault and a URL for file is inserted into the note.

Expected result

I expect both images to be copied to the vault and embedded into the note. Or at the very least be handled in the same manner.

Actual result

The first image is copied to vault and embedded:

![[IMG_1310.jpg]]

the second image simply URL is inserted referencing the file.

file:///home/eric/Dropbox/tmp/IMG_1311.JPG

Environment

• Operating system: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
  • Debug info: Obsidian v0.15.6, using Obsidian Sandbox vault, with no plugins or modifications.

Additional information

post a screen recording of this happening in the sandbox vault and make sure you are not holding ctrl while drag and dropping.

Here is the screen capture. Just drag and drop, not using ctrl key or any other keyboard modifier.

I had to zip the file to get it posted as .webm files do not appear to be allowed.

Screencast from 07-13-2022 07:30:15 AM.zip (760.6 KB)

I can’t reproduce.
What is that gnome file manager?
Does it happen from another file manager?

Just the default vanilla Nautilus file manager. Nothing fancy. The Ubuntu install is pretty much “out of the box”.

I have not tried any other file manager.

-Eric

Screenshot from 2022-07-13 09-01-35

I just installed KDE and cannot reproduce, only seems to be happening in Gnome.

As mentioned, I have installed KDE and running under KDE everything works as expected.

My next test was to test File Explorer Dolphin running under Gnome.

Even running Dolphin and Nautilus file explorers side-by-side under Gnome, dragging from Dolphin works as expected, but Nautilus only works intermittently. Sometimes image copied and embedded and other times a file URL is inserted. I have not been able to find any correlations for when it works and when it doesn’t.

Given that Gnome/Nautilus are the Ubuntu default, I’m still curious why nobody else seems to see this or has reported it.

I merged the old bug report here. This seems a bug that is specific to “Nautilus”. Or perhaps the two session were one running X11 and the wayland.

Either way, we do not have code to handle things differently according to File Manager and neither according to window manager.

Thanks. This might be useful to other people: xorg - Drag and drop of files not working on version 22.04 - Ask Ubuntu

I have problem as well with embeding files il obsidian on Ubuntu 22.04.
I try with dolphin and the link is ok :
![[IMG_1310.jpg]]
but the image is broken an d I can’t visualize it whereas it is working fine with Windows 11 (same vault, synchronise wih dropbox)

Do you have the same issue ?
Did you find a solution to fix the problem with nautilus ?